UX Designer, Terraso
Tech Matters is seeking to add a user experience designer to build the Terraso platform, an open source project delivering critical software tools and the LandPKS, a sustainable land management tool. Those tools will empower communities around the world to adopt sustainable land management practices. We support community leaders to organize, fund, and execute activities to sustain and regenerate human welfare and ecosystem health.
As a design leader at Tech Matters, you will help shape the next version of LandPKS and the future of Terraso and to help define requirements.
This role is for you if you:
- are curious, thoughtful and critical
- are comfortable with ambiguity
- excel at collaborating with people from diverse backgrounds
- have informed opinions on your craft and a willingness to both take feedback and advocate for the integrity of your work
- are comfortable taking on ownership and responsibility
- believe in the mission of Tech Matters
As UX designer, you will:
- collaboratively define, scope, prioritize, and estimate work
- create customer journeys, prototypes, and final design
- sstructure content and information
- design and facilitate user research and usability tests
- serve as a fierce advocate for usability
- inspire the best in those you work with
- prioritize inclusion of diverse perspectives, making sure that it is built into our design process, feature selection, interfaces and documentation
- three years of experience in UX design, information architecture, product design, or service design
- a portfolio or work samples showcasing a high level of design craft
- a commitment to building an inclusive and thoughtful workplace
- attention to detail and a willingness to take time to think things through and do them the right wayexcellent communication, organization, and prioritization skills
We’d be particularly delighted to hire someone who:
- is familiar with the best practices of iOS/Android native app design
- has designed for users with low bandwidth and limited connectivity
- is interested in or experienced with conservation, sustainability, and mapping
- has internationalized digital products
- cares deeply about accessibility
- speaks, reads and writes two or more human languages
We don’t require:
- any particular credentials, whether educational, experiential or title-related
- experience leading a team
- prior remote work experience
- The pay range for this position is $35 to $57 per hour depending on the experience and the location of candidates. The position is full-time (40 hours per week) for four months with possibility of extension.
- As a contractor, this position does not include benefits.
The position is remote, and you’ll work with a team spread out across time zones. You can work from a location of your choice, and should be available for work from 12-5pm USA Eastern Time.
You should apply
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger in delivering social impact. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all of these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
An important part of every application is a cover letter describing why this position and our mission particularly resonated with you.
The Terraso platform will consist of web services and modular applications which support local leaders in creating, funding, and executing plans to improve both environmental outcomes and human welfare. Developing this platform will require leveraging existing open source apps and systems while also building new tools.
Terraso is the technology arm of the 1000 Landscapes for 1 Billion People initiative, a collaboration with six leading global environmental organizations: Commonland, Conservation International, EcoAgriculture Partners, Landscape Finance Lab, Rainforest Alliance and the United Nations Development Programme.
We have been working with community leaders around the globe over the last 18 months to ensure that we understand their needs and priorities, and now it’s time to build! If you are excited by the challenge and the huge opportunity for social good, please join our team!
About LandPKS(Land Potential Knowledge System)
LandPKS is a software tool that allows users to learn about the land and capture or access site-specific data at any specific location in the world. Available on Apple app store and Google Play for download.
About Tech Matters
Tech Matters is a nonprofit organization utilizing the power of tech to support social sector innovators and promote large-scale social change. As tech nerds for the social sector, we identify leverage points where technology can help hundreds or thousands of social sector organizations collaborate around solving a common social or environmental problem.