Mobile Engineer (remote)
Boston, Massachusetts /
Tern is changing the way consumers return items by bringing the drop off location to their doorstep. Backed by some of the same investors that invested in Greenhouse, Rollbar, & Whoop, we are now growing our team to scale our product while also building tools in logistics management and strengthening our b2b partnerships.
There was $761B of merchandise returned in the US in 2021, which was a 77% year over year increase. Over half of those items never made it back to inventory resulting in around 2.8 million metric tons of CO2. Here at Tern we are working on rethinking the return experience to make it more convenient, eco-friendly, & efficient. Come help us change commerce.
Engineering at Tern
We’re tackling big problems in a big space and we’re in it for the long haul. We’re looking for engineers who:
* See the success of the team as their success
* Both want to continue to grow and learn while helping others level-up as well
* Value automated testing, code as craft, and trying to leave systems better than they found them
* Engage in deep technical discussions with other low ego engineers
* Seek out tradeoffs not shortcuts
* Want to build great products at a sustainable pace without death marches, arbitrary deadlines, or working towards burnout
* Look forward to working within our stack: Elixir, Phoenix, LiveView, React Native, Postgres, GCE, Tailwind and more
Interested in Tern but worried your experience doesn’t exactly line up with what we’re looking for? We’ve seen success working with folks that have experience in any modern web stack and are open to learning.
* Specialize in developing features & making design decisions for our React Native app
* Contribute component and/or detox tests for all the features you write
* Spend the vast majority of your time building features with very few meetings
* Level up by both giving and receiving feedback through code reviews and ad hoc discussions
* Work closely with Design to ensure we're crafting great experiences that are also feasible to build
We do not put a lot of stock in years of experience, but as an indication successful candidates typically have 2+ years of professional experience focussed on mobile development for this role. Not sure which role to apply for? Pick a role that feels close to what you're looking for and mention in your application how it may not be the perfect fit. You don't need to neatly fit into a box to be successful at Tern.
Tern offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, and take-what-you-need paid time off that we actually encourage you to use. We offer all engineers a brand new macbook pro, monitor, and other equipment to help you work from home. We are currently full time remote, and while that will always be an option, we’re also evaluating office space for individuals that prefer an in person environment. Let us know your preferences and we’ll do our best to help you work your best.
To all recruitment agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.