Director of Finance
Los Angeles /
Co-founded by tech entrepreneur Leo Seigal and AD100 celebrity interior designer Jake Arnold, The Expert is a fast-growing interior design and commerce platform with a mission to expand access to the best of design regardless of budget or geographic location.
The Expert recently raised a Series A round led by First Round Capital with participation from Forerunner Ventures. Other investors include Sweet Capital, Promus Ventures, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Brigette Romanek. The company has been featured in Architectural Digest, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and others.
The Expert is seeking a highly process-oriented Senior Manager/ Director of Finance. Working directly with the VP of Operations, you will be a key part of our operations team and our first finance hire.
- Maintain company operating model that integrates multiple business lines and perform monthly variance analysis focused on actuals vs. budgets vs. constantly evolving forecasts
- Partner with Operations to create best-in-class finance and accounting workflows for e-commerce marketplace (vendor tracking AP, etc.)
- Manage and execute all day-to-day transactions related to cash inflows and outflows (this includes billings, receivables, payables, taxes, expenses, and reimbursements)
- Collaborate with VP of Operations to maintain company financial statements, including P&L and balance sheet
- Directly manage bookkeepers and ensure on-time delivery of monthly financials. Directly manage accountants and ensure accurate filing of all corporate tax returns
- Proactively analyze data to identify strategic insights and perform financial analysis to evaluate different potential business decisions and opportunities
- Partner with VP of Operations to manage annual planning and budgeting processes
- Work cross functionally with Product, Engineering, Sales, and Customer Experience teams as needed
- Manage sales tax consultants and ensure timely filing of all reports
Who You Are
- 4-8 years of finance experience ideally within an e-commerce business
- Experience with Stripe and using Stripe Data required
- Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis and exceptionally strong Excel skills
- A process-oriented mindset and perspective
- Exemplary history of financial project management
At The Expert, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected category. In addition, The Expert will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.