Director of Biostatistics Research
San Francisco or Remote /
Recent progress in artificial intelligence coupled with a growing resource of longitudinal patient data from historical clinical trials and real world sources provides an unprecedented opportunity to transform clinical trials and speed the development of new medicines.
Unlearn is a science-first company that has invented the first machine learning platform for creating Digital Twins of patients in clinical trials — comprehensive simulations that answer “what would likely happen to this patient if he/she were randomized to the control group?”.
Using information from Digital Twins to estimate treatment effects with PROCOVA™ reduces required sample sizes, increases statistical power, and provides patient-level treatment response information.
It’s about increasing confidence in trial results.
It’s about bringing new medicines to patients faster.
It's about time.
Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, the Director of Biostatistics Research is responsible for leading Unlearn’s research and development activities in biostatistics. This includes research into novel clinical trial designs and their statistical properties using both computational and theoretical tools. In addition to planning research and development activities, the Director of Research Biostatistics will also recruit and mentor a group of biostatistics researchers.
• Lead, develop, and grow the research biostatistics team to achieve company objectives
• Directs, reviews and provides input to staff on statistical methods presentations and publications
• Advance awareness within the biostatistical community in both industry and academia as a randomized trial design leader
• Balance research activities between short-term proof-of-concept methods development and rigorous peer-reviewed publications
• Align biostatistics research priorities with solutions that will be accepted by regulators and customers
• Supervise staff, organizing and prioritizing workload, writing and conducting performance reviews, identifying areas for training and development, goal setting, and managing performance
• Collaborate with data science and clinical teams on evidence dissemination strategy
- PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics
- A proven publication track record in peer-reviewed biostatistics and statistics journals
- At least 5 years of experience managing employees or graduate students
- Experience with randomized controlled trials in industry or academia
- Familiarity with both frequentist and Bayesian statistical methods and their applications to clinical trials
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to operate effectively in an interdisciplinary environment, influence decisions, and leverage customer management skills
Compensation & benefits
Unlearn offers compensation commensurate with experience as well as a competitive benefits package, including:
Generous equity participation
Unlimited PTO plus company holidays
Annual company-wide shutdown between Christmas and New Years holidays
Professional development budget to attend conferences or other events
401k plan with generous matching
Company-subsidized medical, dental, & vision insurance plans
Commuter benefits plan
Paid Parental Leave
Unlearn is not currently offering visa sponsorships for any position. Please only apply if authorized to work in the U.S.
Unlearn is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and create an inclusive work environment because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission to create AI to simulate biology and improve patients' lives.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
All employees who work at Unlearn must comply with our COVID-19 vaccination requirement or receive an approved exemption.