San Francisco, CA or Boston, MA /
Business Development – Business Development /
We are advancing AI to power the future of medicine.
At Unlearn, our purpose is to advance artificial intelligence (AI) to eliminate trial and error in medicine. We are developing generative machine learning methods to predict individual health outcomes and accelerate clinical innovation. Today, we are reimagining the randomized control trial (RCT) for the 21st century through AI-powered clinical trials or TwinRCT. A TwinRCT allows more trial patients to receive the experimental treatment, reaches full enrollment faster and put patients first. Our innovative work in AI today will reinvent how AI is applied in medicine tomorrow — and we have a top secret plan for how to get there. We won’t be able to achieve this mission just by applying technologies created by others; the future must be invented.
Unlearn is a technology company, not a biotech company. We use computers, not pipettes. We make and use software, we don’t discover or make drugs. We believe that AI will define the future of medicine, and we aren’t deterred by naysayers or skeptics.
We come from a variety of backgrounds ranging from machine learning to marketing—but regardless of where we come from, Unlearners share some common traits:
>> Unlearners are ambitious; we aren’t intimidated by big, challenging goals.
>> Unlearners are disciplined experimenters; we break down our big goals into smaller chunks and meet as often as necessary to track our velocity and iterate quickly.
>> Unlearners are gritty; we never give up, setbacks just make us try harder.
>> Unlearners are receptive to new ideas; in fact, we hate being stuck with the status quo.
>> Unlearners are storytellers; sharing information with each other and with the world is super important, too important to be boring. And, last but not least,
>> Unlearners are team-oriented; we put the mission first, the company second, the team third, and individuals last.
Founded in 2017 by a team of world-class machine learning scientists, we have raised venture capital from top tier investors such as Insight Partners, Radical Ventures, 8VC, DCVC, and DCVC Bio. We completed our $50 million Series B in April 2022. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA and have an additional office in Boston, MA.
If our purpose and culture resonate with you, we invite you to apply.
About the Role
Our business development team helps pharma and biotech customers understand the deep impact that AI-powered clinical trials, that reach full enrollment faster, can bring to their business. This role requires having a deep technical understanding of our products and solutions to help drive sales. In this role, you will collaborate with Account Executives to sell the technical capabilities of AI-powered clinical trials and explain how our technology will help customers accelerate their time to patients, and time to market. Internally you’ll work with machine learning scientists, data scientists, engineers, and clinical researchers to help customers evolve their industry with AI. The ideal candidate will have deep technical expertise in machine learning and data science and have a passion for explaining technical concepts to informed and lay audiences.
This role is based either in our HQ in San Francisco, CA or in Boston, MA and requires travel.
- Partner with the business development team to provide technical support during the business development process, including conducting product demos and presentations to help close deals.
- Understand our customers' needs and articulate how our AI technology can help them achieve their clinical trial objectives faster and with fewer participants.
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of our technology, features, benefits, and competitive landscape, as well as the clinical trial industry trends and challenges.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with our clients' technical and business stakeholders, such as clinical development leaders, data scientists, biostatisticians, and clinical trial managers.
- Work closely with our technology and science teams to help prioritize and communicate customer feedback and requirements, and ensure timely and effective resolution of technical issues.
- Collaborate with our marketing and alliance management teams to develop and deliver effective technical content, such as whitepapers, case studies, and webinars, to support the sales process and customer engagement.
- Bachelor's degree in machine learning, data science, computer science, engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a technical sales or sales engineering role, preferably in the AI or machine learning industries.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build rapport and credibility with technical and business stakeholders.
- A deep understanding of the clinical trial industry and its challenges, including regulatory requirements, data privacy, and patient recruitment.
- Ability to be in the office at least 2 days per week.
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Are gritty and excited by new challenges. You embrace challenges with enthusiasm and are willing to use iterative experimentation to guide data-driven decision making and overcome challenges.
- Are a problem solver even when a solution is unclear. You are happy to take on problems with unclear solutions and plan and execute to gather data that allows you to solve that problem.
- Are a people-person. You are energized by interacting with people and are an expert at building deep cooperative relationships.
- Believe in Mission > Company > Team > Self. You believe that achieving Unlearn’s mission is the north star and you are willing to adapt within your role and within the different teams you work in to help the company achieve that mission.
- Have a passion or deep curiosity about artificial intelligence and the positive impact technology can have on society.
$110,000 - $195,000 a year
This is base salary.
Our compensation packages are carefully designed by taking into consideration market trends, existing compensation structures, and availability of resources. In addition to the base salary, we offer annual performance bonuses and equity (stock options) so everyone can share in the upside when the company does well.
Benefits & Perks
We offer a suite of benefits and perks for our team members, including:
• Company-paid medical, dental, & vision insurance
• 401k plan with generous company matching
• Flexible time off and an annual winter break (December 24 - January 1)
• Professional development budget to attend conferences or other events
• One-time home-office set up stipend
• Commuter benefits to help you get to our offices easily
• Paid Parental Leave
• Equity education and tax advisory services
Unlearn is an equal opportunity employer.
At Unlearn, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. If you’re excited about this role, and your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.