Statistics Research Fellow
San Francisco, CA or Boston, MA /
Science – Clinical Methods /
We are advancing AI to power the future of medicine.
At Unlearn, our purpose is to advance artificial intelligence (AI) to eliminate trial and error in medicine. We are developing generative machine learning methods to predict individual health outcomes and accelerate clinical innovation. Today, we are reimagining the randomized control trial (RCT) for the 21st century through AI-powered clinical trials or TwinRCT. A TwinRCT allows more trial patients to receive the experimental treatment, reaches full enrollment faster and put patients first. Our innovative work in AI today will reinvent how AI is applied in medicine tomorrow — and we have a top secret plan for how to get there. We won’t be able to achieve this mission just by applying technologies created by others; the future must be invented.
Unlearn is a technology company, not a biotech company. We use computers, not pipettes. We make and use software, we don’t discover or make drugs. We believe that AI will define the future of medicine, and we aren’t deterred by naysayers or skeptics.
We come from a variety of backgrounds ranging from machine learning to marketing—but regardless of where we come from, Unlearners share some common traits:
>> Unlearners are ambitious; we aren’t intimidated by big, challenging goals.
>> Unlearners are disciplined experimenters; we break down our big goals into smaller chunks and meet as often as necessary to track our velocity and iterate quickly.
>> Unlearners are gritty; we never give up, setbacks just make us try harder.
>> Unlearners are receptive to new ideas; in fact, we hate being stuck with the status quo.
>> Unlearners are storytellers; sharing information with each other and with the world is super important, too important to be boring. And, last but not least,
>> Unlearners are team-oriented; we put the mission first, the company second, the team third, and individuals last.
Founded in 2017 by a team of world-class machine learning scientists, we have raised venture capital from top tier investors such as Insight Partners, Radical Ventures, 8VC, DCVC, and DCVC Bio. We completed our $50 million Series B in April 2022. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA and have an additional office in Boston, MA.
If our purpose and culture resonate with you, we invite you to apply.
About the Role
Reporting to the Head of Clinical Methods, the Statistics Research Fellow is responsible for advancing Unlearn’s research and development activities in biostatistics. This includes research into novel clinical trial designs and their statistical properties using both computational and theoretical tools. In addition to their own research and development activities, the Statistics Research Fellow will also assist in recruiting and mentoring other statistics researchers.
- Develop new biostatistics methods to achieve company objectives
- Collaborate with machine learning researchers to optimize biostatistics use-cases for machine learning model outputs
- Review and provide input to other biostatistics research staff on statistical methods presentations and publications
- Advance awareness within the biostatistical community in both industry and academia as a randomized trial design leader
- PhD in Biostatistics or Statistics
- A proven publication track record in peer-reviewed biostatistics and statistics journals
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to operate effectively in an interdisciplinary environment
- Ability to be in the office at least 2 days per week
$170,000 - $215,000 a year
This is base salary.
Our compensation packages are carefully designed by taking into consideration market trends, existing compensation structures, and availability of resources. In addition to the base salary, we offer annual performance bonuses and equity (stock options) so everyone can share in the upside when the company does well.
Benefits & Perks
We offer a suite of benefits and perks for our team members, including:
• Company-paid medical, dental, & vision insurance
• 401k plan with generous company matching
• Flexible time off and an annual winter break (December 24 - January 1)
• Professional development budget to attend conferences or other events
• One-time home-office set up stipend
• Commuter benefits to help you get to our offices easily
• Paid Parental Leave
• Equity education and tax advisory services
Unlearn is an equal opportunity employer.
At Unlearn, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. If you’re excited about this role, and your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.