Principal Distributed Systems Engineer
Ursa Computing is an early-stage company creating high performance data access and in-memory computing tools based on Apache Arrow to accelerate enterprise data science. We are co-creators of Arrow and have been a driving force in the open source project over the last 5 years, particularly for its use in the C++, Python, and R programming ecosystems. We are building a world-class team to create systems that will have a profound impact on how people work with data.
We are searching for a Principal Software Engineer with distributed computing experience to help design and build a next-generation cloud-first data platform. As a key early team member, you will be responsible for critical architectural decisions that will shape Ursa’s technology stack for years to come. There is also the opportunity to have a highly visible and high impact role in the Apache Arrow open source project.
What you'll do
- Design and implement fault-tolerant, performance- and latency-sensitive distributed systems for data transport and in-memory data processing.
- Analyze distributed systems for performance, scalability, robustness, or security issues.
- Work with Ursa management and customers to understand system requirements.
- Write architecture or design documents for internal systems or open source work and present those documents to the Ursa team or the Arrow open source community.
- Conduct code reviews and help maintain a high level of code quality.
- Contribute to developer productivity and infrastructure improvements.
Background and skills
- 7+ years professional software development
- Experience shipping high quality releases of complex software
- Experience and interest in writing production-quality code in C++
- Experience with distributed computing or other distributed systems
- Strong grasp of multithreaded programming in a CPU- and IO-intensive environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Unix environment experience
- System-level functional and performance debugging
- Bonus: significant prior involvement with an open source project
- Bonus: experience with distributed / cloud storage, cloud provisioning, or Kubernetes