Senior Legal and Regulatory Counsel
San Francisco or Remote /
Operations & Business /
What we do
Our mission at Vana is to shift the flow of data for a more prosperous world. We are building tools for the financialization of data, adding a native incentive layer to data to empower users to reclaim their data from siloed services. We have raised $20M from top crypto-native VCs and are a small team that got started out of MIT.
Today’s data economy works like a serfdom. The value of user data is captured by large tech monopolies rather than by the individuals who created the data. Individuals know their data is being stolen but do not know what to do about it. At the same time, it is difficult for any company other than a large tech monopoly to apply machine learning as they don’t have access to the right data, which is usually siloed in the platform where it is generated. This leads to compounding wealth inequality as our economy has not been designed to accommodate the strange exponentials of data.
We’re building tools to fix this. Our data wallet helps users own and multiply their predictive value. Users securely export personal data from siloed tech platforms, earn interest on their data capital, and access the future value of their data. They decide what parts of their digital self to share, who to share it with, and how much they want for it. Our enterprise customers, from Fortune 500 fashion companies to health tech startups, rent data directly from consumers to make behavioral predictions, creating new value while directly paying the users that created the data.
Vana is looking for its first Legal and Regulatory Counsel to help craft and implement a deft legal, regulatory, and policy approach that ensure that Vana is able to achieve it mission of shifting the flow of data for a more prosperous world.
- Legal and Regulatory Strategy. Flesh out Vana’s existing ideas around a proactive legal/regulatory approach to privacy and crypto into a full-fledged long-term strategy incorporating all areas of the business, including product, communications, and engineering.
- Corporate and Product Counsel. Highlight to executive and other business units, risks associated with Vana’s business and products, and formulate practical solutions to address them.
- External Counsel. Manage external counsel and internal resources to ensure Vana is able to obtain the best legal advice in the most efficient and effective manner.
- General. Draft and review legal documents, contracts, regulatory filings, etc. across all of Vana’s operations and provide advice as needed on legal/regulatory issues.
- Management. Actively engage in and offer valuable contributions at all management meetings, strategic discussions, and take responsibility for moving Vana towards its mission of shifting the flow of data for a more prosperous world.
- Communication. Openly and actively communicate with executives and other senior managers; proactively seek input and feedback as appropriate to ensure that actions/initiatives are coordinated across the business.
- Coaching and Support. Offer mentoring and coaching, both formally and informally, to other members of the Vana team at all levels, but especially for direct reports; ensuring that we’re getting the most out of our people and that our people are getting the most out of us.
- Initiative. Actively identify key opportunities to contribute to Vana in ways additional to core responsibilities in a manner that advances our mission and goals.
- Culture. Champion Vana’s culture - impact, candor, stewardship - every day, and take active steps to ensure that this culture is cultivated amongst peers and direct reports.
- Solid grasp of key areas of law relevant to Vana's core business, such as privacy law and crypto regulation, both in the United States and Internationally
- General understanding of business law areas, including corporate, labor, and contracts law.
- Familiar working for/with government/regulators.
- Thinks broadly about approaches to legal and regulatory issues, incorporating aspects of policy, product, and communications.
- Solution-focused and exercises sound business judgment in addition to legal judgment.
- Communicates legal issues to executives in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Master’s degree in law required (J.D. preferred)
- 5+ years’ legal practice experience, with in-house experience
What we offer
The successful candidate will be join an incredibly diverse expert team with backgrounds at places like Harvard, MIT, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft, who are all passionate about leveraging AI and machine learning to make a positive impact on the world.
At Vana, we are big on collaboration and supporting each other to learn, grow, and excel in our individual pursuits. In addition to joining the Vana family, the successful candidate will receive:
- A competitive salary and the option to be paid in crypto
- A generous benefits package including health insurance, dental and optical
- Flexible work schedule
- Flexible vacation
For more information, see our hiring FAQ.
To build technology and products that are used and loved by people and solve real-world problems, we need to build a team with many different perspectives and experiences. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We want to know your unique story and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.