Data Platform Lead
US, Canada, New Zealand /
Vareto is reimagining how companies evaluate the past and plan for the future. Today, companies make their most important decisions using a web of spreadsheets, presentations, legacy tools, and countless meetings and emails. As a result, executives make decisions with limited data, teams waste time aligning on metric definitions instead of collaborating, and analysts end up debugging Excel files instead of generating insights.
Vareto is building a next-generation planning and insights platform that changes all of that. Our product helps companies standardize their business data, derive and share insights, and build connected cloud-based financial plans - all so companies can make better, faster decisions.
We’re a remote-first team (hiring in the US, Canada, and New Zealand) and we’re backed by top investors and industry leaders.
About the role
As an early member of the engineering team, you will play a critical role in developing the product and building the foundation of the company. In particular, you’ll play a key leadership role in building and scaling our data platform. The ideal candidate will be excited about joining an early-stage company, building from scratch, and having a major impact on both the engineering team and the overall business.
What you'll do
- Lead the development and operation of Vareto’s data platform
- Work closely with other engineers and PMs to understand customer needs and translate that into smart, effective product solutions
- Establish processes to drive operational excellence in critical areas such as systems reliability, SLA management, and productivity
- Oversee cloud infrastructure (AWS) environments and developer tooling, including resource provisioning and management, as well as CI/CD infrastructure
- Ensure that Vareto’s architecture matches its security policies (and that its security policies match its architectures)
- Manage high availability and disaster recovery systems, procedures, and readiness
- Mentor and guide team members for their professional and technical development
- Balance agility with quality, performance, and maintainability
- Shape the product roadmap and guide feature prioritization
- Build the company you want to work at
What we look for
- 8+ years experience with the design of high throughput, low latency large-scale distributed systems
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- Strong CS fundamentals with a track record of writing production-quality code in a high level programming language (e.g. Python, Go, Java)
- Experience using cloud-based open source tools in Linux/Unix environments (AWS is a plus)
- Experience architecting, building, launching, and maintaining high-impact technical systems (entire software development lifecycle)
- Experience with data retrieval (connecting to web APIs) or AI/ML is a plus
Is your experience close to what we’ve described but maybe you feel you’re missing a few of the requirements? We encourage you to apply anyway. We look for people with exceptional potential, and we know this can take many forms. We believe the highest performing teams include people with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.