Los Angeles, California /
Vast is looking for a Structures Engineer to help us design and develop an artificial gravity space station.
- Own the design of primary and secondary structures on a large scale space station
- Build a team of engineers to design pressurized (tubes, domes, bulkheads, doors, airlocks, tanks) and unpressurized (lugs, struts, shields, Floors, mounts and hard points) structures in low earth orbit.
- Develop an understanding of static and dynamic loads, vibrations, thermal and other environmental considerations to drive design decisions.
- Perform mechanical design and analysis, develop manufacturing drawings, test plans, and concept of operations and follow hardware through the entire process.
- Lead trades and own interfaces with all sub systems.
- Provide expert knowledge of fabrication processes and materials.
- Work with fabricators and technicians to improve designs, develop processes and resolve issues.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or physics
- 3+ years experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- 3+ years of hands-on experience designing and developing mechanical components or systems
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Leadership experience on an engineering or project team
- Experience designing structures and components for a high-performance vehicle
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis and root cause investigation
- Prior experience in a fast-paced manufacturing setting
- Prior experience with space hardware
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Vast is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Vast is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.