Los Angeles, California /
Vast is looking for a Mechanisms expert to help us design and develop an artificial gravity space station.
- Vast's artificial-gravity space station will need a variety of mechanisms for assembly and smooth operation. Module to module connections, visiting vehicle docking parts, and a large robotic manipulator are some of the early projects that need concepting, design, and prototyping.
- Scope the project listed above, as well as begin to grow a team to execute on them quickly.
- Perform high level trades with the rest of the early Vast team to determine necessity/viability of different mechanical systems
- Architect mechanism designs for multiple projects concurrently
- Evaluate thermal, acoustic, and shock environments on the ability of the mechanisms to operate as intended
- Test docking ports, robotic arms, and other mechanisms for use on the station
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or physics
- 3+ years experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- 3+ years of hands-on experience designing and developing mechanical components or systems
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with NX/Teamcenter designing parts and assemblies.
- Experience with at least one commercial FEA or multiphysics simulation package (NASTRAN, ABAQUS, ANSYS, CFD codes, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to own hardware or systems within an integrated engineering team outside a classroom setting.
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (Python, Matlab, Excel, etc.).
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Vast is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Vast is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.