Software Engineer, Engineering Operations
Los Angeles, California /
Vast is seeking an experienced Software Engineer to create and deliver the software systems which support the company’s core engineering operations as we design and build the world’s first artificial-gravity commercial space station. We are tackling design, manufacturing, and operations data needs with an agile, first-principles approach. The Engineering Operations Software team is developing a “git for hardware” data system, connecting to every phase of the engineering life cycle. This system is critical to Vast’s ambitious hardware goals and development timeline. Come help us extend the reach of humanity into space!
- Make formative technical decisions about Vast’s engineering operations software stack, team, and software engineering culture
- Work closely with the product lead to align Vast’s software tooling with the company’s direction and to think critically about how software can enable a scalable hardware engineering process
- Rapidly iterate on tooling and design new applications as the company grows
- Set in place the software practices and patterns that will scale to what will eventually become a very large codebase and team
- Identify and implement technology trends that will be able to support the future success of the business
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or another scientific discipline and 2+ years of software development experience; or 4+ years of professional experience building software applications
- Experience building complex, data-intensive full-stack web applications
- Strong experience with software testing, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
- Moderate to strong frontend experience (ideally in React, Vue, or a similar framework)
- Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, or SQL Server
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience translating complex business processes into a software data model
- Production DevOps experience (Docker and K8s preferred)
- Expertise with Graph database technology, especially Neo4J
- Diverse programming experience, perhaps in Go, Ruby, Elixir, Rust, or Java
- Experience working with time series data and databases
- Experience with CAD software and the hardware engineering processes
- Experience with API design
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Vast is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Vast is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.