Head of Deal Operations
Compensation at startups is broken. Almost 80% of employee equity is abandoned, meaning startup employees (about 6 million in the U.S.) are missing out on hundreds of billions of dollars. That’s money they earned and that could be changing their lives — enabling them to pay off student loans, buy their first home, or start a family — but that’s not what’s happening. Vested exists to fix this.
Employees abandon their equity for two main reasons: knowledge and capital. First, they don’t really understand what it is and how it works. Second, most employees receive stock options, which need to be “exercised” to purchase real equity (shares). But exercising costs money and has tax consequences, both of which can add up to tens of thousands of dollars or more. Most people don’t have that kind of money sitting around to invest into a startup, so they choose not to exercise their options, which then expire. The unclaimed shares go back into the company, benefitting the company, its management, and its venture capitalists, while average employees lose out.
Meanwhile, investor interest in startups has never been higher. With companies staying private longer than ever, and the VC asset class consistently outperforming, investors of all types are looking for a way in.
Enter Vested. We provide employees with knowledge and capital. From the moment an employee is considering a job offer, we’re there for them with tools they can use to truly understand their equity offer and determine whether it’s fair. As time goes on, we also help at key milestones, like when it's time to exercise (and to understand the mechanics and tax consequences of doing so). Finally, if an employee needs funding to exercise, or if they want to sell shares, we connect them to investor capital — ensuring they can actually capture the value they've earned.
We’re well-funded (with more fundraising coming soon!), and growing our team. We invite you to consider joining us.
Related Reading Links
About the Role
We're building a platform that allows employees at select companies to unlock the value of their equity. We offer option exercise funding, sales, and other liquidity products. On the buy side, our data science and engineering groups provide targeting and pricing data to enable optimal portfolio construction. We then seek to close deals with employees who have holdings of interest. For the employees, a transaction with Vested is a significant matter, and they often need a human helping hand — someone to help them better understand a deal, or to give them a sense for who we are as a business. This key generalist role will be the interface between the product and the customer – developing processes, systems, and automation (collaboratively with the broader team) to ensure Vested is providing a delightful user experience. To the Vested team, you are the voice of the customer; and to our users, you are the voice of Vested.
- Deal Support. The Vested platform is predominantly automated – you will step into the gaps to ensure the customer is supported throughout while providing key user feedback to the product team to ensure new capabilities are added.
- Pipeline Development. Our systems generate precise target lists. You will be responsible for using existing automated tools, and developing new tools, to analytically measure acquisition and ensure we are reaching the right audience with compelling messaging. You will work collaboratively with the Chief Revenue Officer to tailor outreach to ensure proper diversification of the portfolio.
- Customer Experience. Whether or not we can currently provide financing for a particular employee, we must have a strong, responsive mechanism to address comments, questions, and concerns – we strive to build a lifetime relationship with all users. You will oversee the strategic to the tactical – building out a customer experience suite that is best in class while not losing sight of any individual concern.
- FINRA SIE, Series 7, and Series 63.
- 3+ years’ experience supporting direct to consumer financial products.
- 2+ years’ experience in the pre-IPO / secondary market ecosystem.
- Strong track record of direct customer interaction and desire to build a best-in-class experience.
- Skilled in analytical methodologies, processes, and tools – ability to develop data driven recommendations.
- Ability to create process from empty space. Excited about teaming cross functionally to best capitalize on an enormous opportunity.
- Burning desire to automate away manual elements of processes.
- Experience with customer experience platforms (e.g. Zendesk, Freshdesk, Hubspot) and development of CX strategy a plus.
- Practice extreme ownership and grow professionally – either as an individual contributor across the Vested organization, or as a functional leader, building a growing team.
- Demonstrated leadership roles a plus, but by no means required.
- Equity (naturally)
- You can say things like “Next month I’ll be working from Mexico City,” and we’ll be happy for you
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation