Senior Data Scientist *Fully Remote*
Compensation at startups is broken. Almost 80% of employee equity is abandoned, meaning startup employees (about 6 million in the U.S.) are missing out on hundreds of billions of dollars. That’s money they earned and that could be changing their lives — enabling them to pay off student loans, buy their first home, or start a family — but that’s not what’s happening. Vested exists to fix this.
Employees abandon their equity for two main reasons: knowledge and capital. First, they don’t really understand what it is and how it works. Second, most employees receive stock options, which need to be “exercised” to purchase real equity (shares). But exercising costs money and has tax consequences, both of which can add up to tens of thousands of dollars or more. Most people don’t have that kind of money sitting around to invest into a startup, so they choose not to exercise their options, which then expire. The unclaimed shares go back into the company, benefitting the company, its management, and its venture capitalists, while average employees lose out.
Meanwhile, investor interest in startups has never been higher. With companies staying private longer than ever, and the VC asset class consistently outperforming, investors of all types are looking for a way in.
Enter Vested. We provide employees with knowledge and capital. From the moment an employee is considering a job offer, we’re there for them with tools they can use to truly understand their equity offer and determine whether it’s fair. As time goes on, we also help at key milestones, like when it's time to exercise (and to understand the mechanics and tax consequences of doing so). Finally, if an employee needs funding to exercise, or if they want to sell shares, we connect them to investor capital — ensuring they can actually capture the value they've earned.
We’re well-funded (with more fundraising coming soon!), and growing our team. We invite you to consider joining us.
Related Reading Links
About the Role
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will help collect and analyze the data that brings startup equity to life. You are someone who is motivated to deliver results, able to simplify complex concepts, and passionate about getting the answer right. You will have influence over what services we offer startup employees (and how we let them know we exist), as well as how we value privately-held companies. You are excited to break new analytic ground.
- Build our next five proprietary datasets
- Discover new signals for valuing privately-held companies
- Maximize our ability to productively interact with our users
- Help grow and shape our inclusive, friendly, egoless tech and data culture
- Collaborate with design, growth, tech, and product teams to test and iterate on new features
- Experience collecting data from the wild
- Experience building data pipelines
- 5+ years experience building predictive models
- Experience creating and maintaining an analytics infrastructure
- Advanced/Proficient in Python (we do not use R)
- Strong on web scraping/data wrangling
- Proficient with SQL
- Proficient with key-value stores (i.e. MongoDB)
- Experience with cloud service providers (AWS)
- NLP experience a plus