Full Stack Software Engineer
San Francisco /
Wispr is building the future of human-computer interfaces controlled by the peripheral nervous system. We're building a team of world class scientists, engineers, and product designers to make that a reality. We're funded by top tier Silicon Valley investors (NEA and 8VC) and backed by angels including Ben Jones (COO, CTRL-Labs), Jose Carmena (Berkeley professor; co-CEO iota), David Gilboa (CEO, Warby Parker), and Will Ahmed (CEO, Whoop). Our founders are Stanford alums and have previously sold a company and run a team at a deep tech startup with over 100M in funding.
We're hiring in SF Bay Area / DC Area / Remote.
As a software engineer at Wispr, you work closely with neuroscientists and machine learning engineers to design the research platform to acquire and process real time data to develop high-bandwidth neural interfaces. You will develop and own the backend, cloud infrastructure and the web application — the hub of research and engineering work that will be used by every single engineer at Wispr, every day, as we push forward the frontiers of technology.
We value being action-biased and a hacker mindset to build things quickly. We use the best and latest tools to get the job done. We maintain beautifully organized codebases with minimal technical debt. We work with a pragmatic outlook at the frontiers of technology, bringing it to the hands of millions of people. If that interests you, we'd love to hear from you!
Come join us and make magic happen.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Build the web platform that will be the hub of our research and engineering efforts.
- Setup the cloud infrastructure for the platform and machine learning pipelines
- Architect a highly performant multi-threaded Python backend to serve the web platform
- Develop interactive WebGL and data visualizations for researchers to better understand the data in real time
- Setup best engineering practices for the software engineering team
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience
- MS or BS in computer science or related engineering field
- 2+ years hands-on relevant engineering experience in software or data engineering
- Proficient in Python, React, AWS; Built full stack apps from scratch
- Strong programming practices and high-throughput of code across the stack
- Organized, self-directed, efficient
- Experience working collaboratively with teams: we believe in working collectively towards a common goal
Nice to have Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience
- Low level systems hacking experience, parallel programming experience
- Experience working on data pipelines for time series data, speech recognition, audio data, generative models, or NLP
- Experience with data science, visualizations, and machine learning
- Develop cutting edge technologies in a creative and innovative environment.
- Imagine new opportunities in areas that matter and will impact the world you live in.
- Headquarters in an open, green, and bright office in South San Francisco - with a wide view of the bay and proximity to the Caltrain.
- Be a part of a high performing team of the world’s best innovators and executors.
- Receive excellent medical, dental and vision benefits, equity ownership in Wispr and competitive salaries.
- Flexible work arrangements to support you in working in the way that you work best.
- Grow your career and do the best work of your life.
At Wispr, diversity is important to us.
At Wispr, we believe that true innovation starts from people from diverse backgrounds coming together, bridging ideas, and collaborating. Wispr is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.