Senior Software Engineer
United States /
WorkHound Teams – Engineering /
What does working at WorkHound look like?
At WorkHound, our mission is to help people love the work they do. We live this as a team and through our product. We want our team to love what they’re doing while working at a place that’s growing and moving quickly. We hire based on values and entrepreneurial spirit. Because of this, we have a smart team who has fun, cares for one another, and gets a lot done. You’ll be joining a team of hard-working, happy, and humble people. Our work is important, but so are our relationships, our physical health, our mental health, and our personal time. Balance is key.
What is WorkHound?
We are a software company building the megaphone for frontline workers and those who support them.
We enable workers to feel heard, valued and respected. We amplify their voices, help companies understand the needs of their staff, and improve their culture and bottom line in the process. With over 57,000 workers active on our platform we are proud of the work we’ve done and excited for the huge opportunity still in front of us. The opportunity was huge before the pandemic and explosion of remote work culture, it’s absolutely massive now.
As technology shapes the future of work, WorkHound is the human side of automation.
What are WorkHound’s Values?
We spend much of our time working, we should do so in harmony and productive collaboration. We value diverse viewpoints but we must all pull together and follow our north star. Collaborators over dictators. Servant leadership.
Information breeds confidence, silence breeds fear. The best decisions are driven by data. We share everything we know with each other to help prioritize our efforts, create harmony, and build where it hurts. We value trust over rules.
We create value rather than extracting it. Creating a great product allows our customers to grow with us. Creating a great work environment inspires the best people to build with us. We believe all parties should benefit from every transaction and interaction. This goes for ourselves, our team, our partners, and our customers. Most value is created in long-term relationships.
Win or Learn
We don’t place blame for failure or mistakes, we celebrate and learn from them. If we don't screw some things up, we aren't moving fast enough. We must deeply understand our customers to serve them best. We operate with speed, simplicity, and focus.
Overview of WorkHound’s Senior Software Engineering Position
Product at WorkHound is a team sport. We’re looking for bright, kind, curious, and motivated people to join us.
WorkHound is transitioning from startup to scale-up. Our product organization has been lean and scrappy and now it’s time to grow. We’ll need to level-up our existing platform as well as create new features and products to deliver on the opportunity in front of us and create the communications platform for front-line workers.
What You'll Do
- Take a leading role in defining the architecture of product features, as well as the overall topology of the platform itself.
- Collaborate with the team on development, testing, and documentation.
- Partner with members of the Product team to understand our unique user needs and business context to maximize value for our customers.
- Refactor legacy code and address tech debt as necessary.
- Research solutions and scale yourself by documenting your findings for your fellow team members.
- Mentor junior developers.
- Help grow the team and its processes. We need to build the machine that builds the product.
- First, do the work. Then, make the work better.
- ~7 years experience in delivering web applications in a Node/Express environment, ideally backed by MongoDB.
- Humility - The team’s success is your success. You are confident in your ability to contribute to the team, but are not driven by ego.
- Hunger - You delight in work done well. You support the team, are self-motivated, and have a bias for action.
- People Smarts - You have EQ as well as IQ. You understand team dynamics and how your actions and communications affect your teammates. You work well with others.
- Passion for high quality software and the willingness to participate in testing and process improvement to protect that quality.
- A pragmatic mindset and approach to development that matches the level of effort and technical solutions to customer needs and team resources to create solutions that rapidly delight customers.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn. Strong engineers are always teaching themselves new things. We expect you to do the same.
Bonus Points For
- Heroku experience. We use it, we love it
- Previous startup experience
- Experience in Agile development environments
- Experience working in distributed teams
- Front-end framework experience
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary
- Remote and Flexible Work with a monthly work from anywhere stipend
- Home Office Setup
- Your choice of Mac-based technical equipment.
- Medical / Dental / Vision
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Partial Cell Phone Stipend
- Up to 3 months paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- Unlimited PTO (We actually mean this. Work/life balance is a value that we live, not just talk.)
- Every other Friday off (we’ve been doing 4 day work weeks since before it was cool.)
The Interview Process
- 30 minute video call with the Head of Engineering, who this role will report to.
- 30 minute video call with our Head of Operations (HR), around company culture
- Take-home coding assignment, time boxed to a three hour effort. We want to see the quality of code you deliver in a context as close to our day to day work as possible. These will be anonymized and reviewed by the Engineering team.
- A remote/video ‘onsite’ call with our engineering and product teams. Segments will include reviewing your take-home submission, working style and WorkHound as a company.
In an effort to expand the diversity of our team, we’ve attempted to anonymize and de-bias as many steps of our interview process as possible, and we’d like to meet with at least two qualified candidates who come from underrepresented backgrounds before filling this role.