Purpose Built Communities: Vice President, Policy
Purpose Built Communities – VP, Policy /
ORGANIZATION: Purpose Built Communities
ROLE: Vice President, Policy
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. or Atlanta, GA (Hybrid)
TRAVEL EXPECTATIONS: 50% of time
ABOUT PURPOSE BUILT COMMUNITIES
Purpose Built Communities (“Purpose Built”) is an incubator, convener, and catalyst for social change at the neighborhood level. Purpose Built is a philanthropically-funded nonprofit organization that partners with local leaders–its Network Members–to design, direct, and accelerate neighborhood transformation initiatives across the United States so residents can experience greater racial equity, improved health outcomes, and increased upward mobility.
Purpose Built provides pro-bono guidance, coaching, and support to these local leaders, their staff, and stakeholders in implementing and growing a holistic model of revitalization in their neighborhoods. Together with Purpose Built’s Network Members and strategic partners, Purpose Built believes every neighborhood should have affordable, high-quality mixed income housing, excellent schools that keep student success in life and in the classroom central, inclusive spaces that nurture and enrich residents’ physical and mental health and foster a sense of belonging, and a thriving commercial core that keeps the neighborhood economically vibrant. The throughline is uplifting the legacy and supporting the vision of the people who have long called that neighborhood home.
Purpose Built has recently undertaken a series of programmatic updates, including refining its Model for impact and completing our strategic planning process. These initiatives provide a clarifying and unifying story about Purpose Built’s ethos and values system as a social change organization.
Purpose Built supports 26 Network Members with pro-bono services, including technical assistance, a robust Community of Practice, racial equity programming, policy support, fundraising, and more. As Purpose Built continues to evolve its Model and support structures, it is focusing on amplifying its value proposition, telling a collective story of Network impact and establishing its leadership in the field of place-based work.
To learn more about Purpose Built Communities, visit: www.purposebuiltcommunities.org.
Purpose Built Communities’s Values:
- Possibility: Our purpose is to provide the possible, not settling for the probable.
- Impact: We take action and build bridges to create lasting impact.
- Community: We cultivate connected, mutually contributing communities.
- Equity: We ground our work in the foundational beliefs that race and place matter.
ABOUT THE VICE PRESIDENT, POLICY ROLE
Reporting to the Executive Vice President of Strategy and Impact, the inaugural Vice President, Policy will develop, execute, and iterate the policy strategy for Purpose Built Communities (“Purpose Built”) and its Network at the national, state, and local levels. Purpose Built seeks a seasoned and committed government affairs professional with a deep understanding of federal and state-level policies influencing the four Purpose Built pillars: mixed-income housing, cradle-to-college education, community wellness, and economic vitality. Bringing with them a career of results, the Vice President, Policy will advocate, educate, and mobilize stakeholders, coalitions, and policymakers toward non-partisan policy change.
The goal of Purpose Built’s policy work will be to create the conditions and resources to support neighborhood revitalization within Purpose Built communities. The Vice President, Policy will build upon existing and create new coalitions for Purpose Built federally and for the Network Members locally with internal and external stakeholders, government officials, and partners to drive effective policy solutions that advance all aspects of resident-centered holistic neighborhood revitalization.
- In partnership with the CEO, senior leadership team, and Network Members, build on pre-existing work to develop and refine Purpose Built’s policy agenda.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of relevant research, analysis, and updates of relevant policy issues and trends on federal, state, and local scales, identifying opportunities and avoiding challenges that align with Purpose Built’s mission.
- Provide counsel, educational tools, and guidance to Network Members to leverage their own local connections and drive policy change.
- Assist in coordinating and crafting the messaging and strategies for annual fly-ins with Senior Leaders of Purpose Built and Network Members to meet with Congressional Members in Washington, D.C.
- Build and maintain strong, genuine, and long-lasting relationships with policymakers, government agencies, and relevant local, state, and national stakeholders.
- Chart the landscape of key stakeholder relationships, identifying thought partners, policymakers, administration officials, media figures, and other potential allies to lay the foundation for future coalition-building.
- Engage and cultivate key stakeholders at the state and federal levels, including elected officials, to explore opportunities to advance collaborative policy strategies and initiatives and allocate funds towards Purpose Built Network Member programming.
- Build trust, deep relationships, and open communication between all Network Members, ensuring their needs and priorities are heard and aligned with federal, state, and local policy initiatives.
- Represent Purpose Built and its Network Members in meetings, hearings, and events to advocate for non-partisan policy changes and promote the Network’s initiatives.
- Mobilize and coalesce aligned field partners while leveraging Purpose Built’s consultants to drive the creation of shared strategies, partnerships, and collective advocacy events and initiatives.
- Partner with the Senior Vice President of Strategic Partnerships, Vice President of Communications, and Vice President of Racial Equity Programs and Narrative Strategy to develop and execute communication strategies and materials to advance Purpose Built’s policy goals.
- Collaborate with the communications team to produce policy briefs, reports, and other relevant materials, as well as respond to the press for advocacy purposes.
- Identify new sources of revenue by monitoring and analyzing relevant legal, regulatory, and budgetary activity or funding opportunities at all levels of government to enable Purpose Built and its Network Members to access federal, state, and local discretionary and earmarked funding more easily.
- Work with the Purpose Built Development team to assist in identifying funding opportunities, including donors and potential funders, related to policy work and contribute to grant writing efforts.
- Foster strong cross-department communication and collaboration, especially with the development and communications teams.
- Demonstrate a commitment to supporting a collaborative and inclusive culture that embodies the values of Purpose Built.
- When the department is ready for growth, hire, train, and retain a Policy Manager to support the work. Hold team members to high standards while also providing coaching and opportunities for growth.
Policy Strategy Development
Advocacy, Coalition Building, and Government Relations
Political Communication and Media Strategy
Team Development & Cross-Departmental Collaboration
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in relevant fields or functions, including 5 years in positions related specifically to government affairs, policy, or advocacy in housing and/or community revitalization.
- Proven track record of policy advocacy and impact assessment. Federal advocacy experience is required. State or local advocacy experience is strongly preferred.
- Awareness of the laws and expertise in the policy agendas related to at least one of Purpose Built’s four pillars is required. Expertise in housing and community revitalization policies is strongly preferred.
- Experience creating or supporting the creation of a policy strategy and success metrics at an organization; nonprofit preferred.
- Proven track record of developing and/or facilitating coalitions that resulted in shared advocacy partnerships or initiatives.
- Experience starting a policy department at a nonprofit is preferred.
- Capitol Hill experience or experience in a state legislature preferred.
- Experience developing and managing high-performing teams, including consultants.
- A bachelor or advanced degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Law, or a related field is preferred.
- Able and willing to operate as a non-partisan, pragmatic problem solver and strategic advisor.
- Approaching and navigating policy through a racial equity perspective.
- Ardent commitment to continuing on a racial equity journey both personally and organizationally within Purpose Built and its Network.
- Team player who can also be a self-starter with strong leadership and exceptional project management skills.
- Embody the Purpose Built values.
- Exemplify a respected professional recognized for collaborating with others with a commitment to integrity, candor, and transparency.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to translate complex issues into a clear policy recommendation with a compelling call to action.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Fully paid health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 401(k) retirement plan (Safe Harbor Match of 100% of the first 3% and 50% of the next 2%). Annual 3% discretionary distribution, as well, after completing 1000 hours of service.
- Cell phone reimbursement is $75 monthly.
- 9 weeks of parental leave.
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
- Frontloaded annual PTO based on years of service, for the first three years, it is 17 days.
- 11 Paid holidays and 2 paid floating holidays. Additional days off for the PBCF Holiday Schedule.
- Flexible work model.
- Other perks (Monday office lunches and more).
Purpose Built Communities offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package to all staff that, effective on the first day of employment, which includes:
TO APPLY: Please submit an online application to Work Renewed. If you have any questions, contact the Work Renewed team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purpose Built Communities is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.