Firelight Films: Controller
New York, NY /
Firelight Films – Finance /
ABOUT FIRELIGHT FILMS
Firelight Films is the production company of award-winning filmmaker Stanley Nelson that produces documentary films and develops strategies, partnerships, and materials to reach and engage diverse audiences. Recent productions include Attica for Showtime, Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre for the History Channel, and Crack: Cocaine, Corruption, & Conspiracy for Netflix. Firelight Films is a premier destination for non-fiction cinema by and about communities of color and has produced films with Netflix, BET, PBS, History Channel, ESPN+, and CNN.
Firelight Film’s sister nonprofit organization, Firelight Media, supports and develops non-fiction filmmakers of color. Visit Firelight Films/Firelight Media’s YouTube channel to learn more about their award-winning films, groundbreaking programs, and partnerships.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Firelight Films seeks a Controller who will oversee, advise, and manage all accounting and financial operations supporting the growth of the production company. Reporting to the Executive Vice President (EVP) of Content, the Firelight Films Controller will be responsible for providing strategic guidance and financial support to film projects, managing cash flow and funding processes towards the production of films, monitoring the financial projects while in production, and reviewing production budgets and cost reports for investors. Additionally, the Firelight Films Controller will manage corporate accounting needs such as accounts payable and accounts receivables.
The Firelight Films Controller, an entrepreneurial senior team member, will serve as the sole Controller for the production company Firelight Films. An ideal candidate must be able to work closely with all Firelight Films staff and partner organizations and will collaborate most often with the EVP of Content.
Key Responsibility: Oversee Production Accounting and Finance Support
- Serve as the senior financial leader within Firelight Films by co-creating multi-year, annual, and project-based budgets and ensuring resources are strategically aligned to meet Firelight Films’ priorities and objectives.
- Analyze financial activities and data to support company-wide decision-making.
- Provide ongoing and proactive communication about the overall financial health of Firelight Films. Monitor and disseminate relevant financial reports of projects in production and review production budgets, cost reports, trial balances, and petty cash reconciliation prepared by Production Accountants.
- As the company grows, establish new operations and systems to ensure ongoing financial management and administration of funds with fidelity. Stay abreast of developments in for-profit, film production accounting, and related software and recommend and implement changes to current processes as required.
- Lead accounting responsibilities from production to post-production.
- Ensure adherence to all production accounting standard practices.
Key Responsibility: Facilitating and Implementing Industry-Based Accounting Finance Systems and Processes
- Lead the development and monitoring of the annual budgeting process.
- Manage corporate accounting needs, including Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable and end-of-year accounting (with the help of the Firelight Films Accountant). Eventually, build a team of finance and/or accounting professionals.
- Monitor performance vs. budget; liaise between project leaders and senior management; combine project budgets into the annual budget.
- Oversee the management of the organization’s bank accounts, and cash and investment balances. Develop models to monitor and manage its financial risk (interest rate, liquidity).
- Oversee the preparation of all financial statement forecasts and the cash forecast; make appropriate recommendations to the EVP of Content.
- Responsible for maintaining internal controls and safeguards. Protect company assets through sound cash management policies and procedures.
- Manage the quarterly corporate reporting process and audits.
- Perform ad hoc financial analyses and miscellaneous projects as needed.
- A desire to be at an organization that disrupts inequitable current systems by lifting-up filmmakers of color and depicting stories on topics that are typically underrepresented in the mainstream media.
- 5+ years of relevant production company experience in accounting and finance is required with progression in responsibilities.
- Experience managing consultant relations and/or direct supervision of employees is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of film and television industry accounting and finance practices, including experience supporting and/or undergoing audits.
- Strong understanding of laws and compliance related to production accounting and the management of investment capital.
- Prior experience managing accounts payable and accounts receivable at a for-profit organization.
- Manage, guide, and lead employees to ensure appropriate financial processes are used.
- Proficiency in Quickbooks, Movie Magic Budgeting, MediaWeb, and Greenslate or similar software and systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field preferred, or relevant experience and certifications. CPA desired but not required.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $90,000-$120,000 per year, depending on experience. Firelight Films intends to institute benefits in the near future.
Please submit an online application to Work Renewed. If you have any questions, contact the Work Renewed team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Firelight Films is an equal-opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
In line with Firelight Films’ commitment to a diverse and inclusive staff, women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.