Senior Loads & Dynamics Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – GNC & Flight Sciences /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Senior/Principal Loads & Dynamics Engineer
As a Senior/Principal Loads & Dynamics Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and guiding development of models, methods, forcing functions, analyses, and loads for current and future launch vehicle primary and secondary structures.
You will leverage your skills and knowledge of dynamic analysis, Nastran, Matlab/Python automation, and payload/launch vehicle dynamics and events. You will work with hardware development engineers from structures, propulsion, avionics, and launch to develop and refine loads for hardware design and test. You will also work with Mission Management and payload customers. You will mentor junior engineers and provide technical insight, direction, and oversight.
- Perform and provide technical oversight for CLA, dynamic analyses, and load development
- Develop dynamic methods and analysis/automation tools
- Provide peer review and guidance for junior dynamic and hardware engineers
- Collaborate with customer payload analysis teams
- Generate products for cross-disciplinary analyses and payload customers
- B.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Experienced in dynamic analysis: performing hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Experienced in forcing function development and correlation
- Experience with Craig-Bampton/superelement models and methods including reduction, model checkouts, damping, OTM, and result restitution
- Hands-on experience with modal testing and model correlation
- Experience using FEMAP & NX Nastran
- Experience using Matlab/Python or similar programming languages; automation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Experience building vehicle level CLA models including structures and HYDRO models, running CLA, and model correlation to structural test and flight data
- Experience with VIV/WIO (vortex induced vibration/wind induced vibration), IOP (ignition overpressure), and other launch vehicle specific events and load estimation
- Experience developing dynamic methods in Matlab
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $155,000-$210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.