Manufacturing Engineer, CNC Machining
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
CNC Machining Manufacturing Engineer
As a CNC Machining Manufacturing Engineer, you will take ownership and responsibility for growing, maintaining, and optimizing operations at ABL's Additive Manufacturing center. You will be driving new parameter development, designing for additive, and driving parts through additive post processes. You will own overall metal production process for printed launch vehicle hardware from build file input to finished part. This includes supporting both development and production builds, effectively coordinating and communicating between customers, engineers, and technicians, as well as implementing incremental improvements and new technologies to maximize product quality and time of delivery. We are looking for an Additive Manufacturing Engineer who enjoy solving new and different problems, can work effectively in a fast-paced environment and share our passion for building additively manufactured rocket engines.
- Perform a role of hands-on engineering between the design teams and production organization, enabling production ramp of medium/high volume launch vehicle hardware
- Resolve, analyze and solve manufacturing discrepancies, while interfacing with the quality team (resolving issues for design, fabrication, and assembly)
- Aggressively drive and implement process improvements to reduce assembly hours and build cost
- Fully develop and implement future state production systems for all products
- Create capital/facility justifications for large projects and manage through implementation and runoff
- Manage scheduling and planning systems to ensure machinists have clear priorities
- Partner with technicians to resolve issues, establish effective engineering controls, and reduce labor needs as much as possible
- Establish and document a nominal machining process that meets ABL's quality standards. Engage with key stakeholders to ensure issues are addressed, contained, and resolved. Efficiently resolve non-conformances as they arise and aggressively track down root cause following through with corrective actions to eliminate re-occurrence.
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including operational instructions, process flow diagrams, standard repair plans, schematic diagrams, and mechanical drawings
- Responsible for meeting production rate and quality goals. Communicate roadblocks to engineers and technician teams early enough to react, contain, and recover.
- Track and drive reductions in planned and unplanned downtime across CNC machines
- Develop and implement tooling and engineering controls into production processes to further improve reliability and reduce cost and lead time
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineer, materials science, or other engineering discipline
- 1-2+ years in a production/manufacturing environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with multi-axis milling and turning technology
- Experience supporting a production machine shop
- Design of hydraulic/pneumatic fixtures for unattended production processes
- Lean manufacturing training or experience
- CAD experience (NX & Teamcenter a plus)
- Strong understanding of NC programming, CMM programming, PLC programming
- Root cause and corrective action experience in dispositioning non conformances
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.