Ground Software Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's ground software engineers create the software that launches our rockets. They realize that the code they write is a critical link in the chain that enables the success of ABL's launch vehicles.
Ground software engineers are more than just programmers - they develop complete systems to enable successful test and launch operations. As such, the Ground Software Engineer will not only develop the software for ABL’s ground systems but will also work alongside the test/launch operations teams before, during, and after operations to constantly improve the reliability, integrity, and usefulness of the ground system software.
- Design, develop, verify, and maintain mission-critical software for ground-based test and launch operations
- Develop tools for data storage, retrieval, and visualization
- Design software systems to automate and improve test/launch operations
- Work alongside test and launch personnel to troubleshoot software and hardware issues and identify upgrade paths to streamline operations
- Bachelor's degree in any engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- 2+ years of developing software for complex hardware-focused operations, such as aerospace/automotive test systems or industrial control systems
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated skills in developing large applications in LabView or other data-flow programming environments
- Proficiency with designing/maintaining safety or mission critical software
- Familiarity with Java, C++, or other object-oriented programming language
- Ability to cross disciplines to troubleshoot data acquisition/control hardware issues
- Experience developing software for distributed systems, including integration with cloud platforms
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.