Sr. Network Architect
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
We build rockets to launch small satellites
ABL Space Systems (ABL) was founded in 2017, by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley, to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. ABL is headquartered in El Segundo, California, where it has more than 30,000 square feet of facilities for research, development, and production. ABL is a privately-owned corporation backed by a premier group of investors.
We are a tight team with big goals. That means we need all hands on deck. At ABL, every person takes ownership of their work, and understands how it impacts our mission. Accessing space doesn’t need to be expensive, complicated, or difficult, and we’re building the systems, CONOPS, and organization to prove it. Our team has come together to pursue mastery of our domains and build something bigger than ourselves. We are proud to serve the people pushing the frontiers of space technology. Our goals are ambitious. The work is challenging. We take a deep personal responsibility for everything we make. Driven by great people and greater talent, ABL is reimagining the next generation of space launches.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Sr. Network Architect
ABL's senior network architects design and operate the IT systems for test and launch operations of our rocket, create robust IT systems that just work, from ground operations through propellant load through to launch.
From site deployment, set-up and configuration, check-out of audio/video/networking, and operations monitoring and support, the senior network architects scope is broad and multi-disciplinary. Good senior network architects recognize that their ownership of a systems is fully inclusive - they are responsible for deploying, configuring, activating, troubleshooting, and operating their IT systems for our hazardous operations.
- Acting as primary architect of ABL's technology and infrastructure with the goal of global hazardous operations and scaling production through automation
- Demonstrating interpersonal skills when interacting with all levels of the local office on daily support requests assigned through various channels (email, phone, ticketing system, live walk-ins, etc.)
- Design, deploy and manage ground system networks and hyper-converged infrastructure, compute environments to support our software and ensure the safety of our operations teams
- Prioritize all needs across the company, propose, and execute on global technology upgrade roadmaps
- Demonstrate organizational skills by maintaining and updating documentation of issues and ensuring their timely resolution
- Displaying composure, tact, patience, and the ability to handle stressful situations
- Monitor the status, reliability and performance of our deployed environment, detect issues quickly and driving quality improvement over time
- Design network architectures from the ground up that meet the needs of commercial, civil, and national security customers
- Define interfaces, identify standards, and document network operations to ensure maximum flexibility for integration with the network
- Work closely with flight avionics engineers to design and flight hardware to operate the flight network
- Work closely with ground system engineers to spec, procure, and install hardware to operate the terrestrial segment of the network
- Manage and expand network interconnections, network co-location sites and points of presence (POPs)
- Improve network performance based upon system performance metrics
- Design and build a networking lab to prototype scalable solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in technology or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of professional hands-on experience operating enterprise class networks
- Operational experience in a Linux production environment
- Experience with Python and/or bash scripting
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Deep understanding of service provider networks including but not limited to:
- Connectivity (Ethernet, WDM, IPv4 and IPv6)
- Switching (MPLS, QinQ)
- Routing (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS)
- Subscriber Management (BNG, RADIUS/AAA, QoS, BSS/OSS integration)
- Network security and Anti-DDoS measures
- Internet services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.)
- Familiarity with network health monitoring systems
- Experience with hands-on work in bringing up network infrastructure
- Experience creating documentation and procedures
- Ability to run projects independently
- Experience working on wireless networks
- Experience working on software defined networking (SDN) and/or network function virtualization (NFV)
- Cisco, Juniper or other industry certifications
- Experience with cloud-based technologies (Kubernetes, Azure, AWS, C2S, Istio)
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in ABL offices and travel to remote ABL sites including International
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages