Fluid Systems Designer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Fluid Systems Designers bring all the vehicle's fluid systems together with a streamlined network of tubes and manifolds.
Fluid System Designers work closely with Propulsion Engineers and Component Engineers to bring system schematics to life. They take delight in creating a system layout that balances the mechanical requirements of each part and the complexity of the resulting fluid lines. Good Fluid Systems Designers are organized, methodical, and have exceptional spatial awareness.
- Determine fluid line sizes, thickness, materials, and interfaces
- Convert system schematics to flushed out 3D models in CAD, considering manufacturing, integration, and operational constraints
- Design and analyze fluid manifolds and component support structures
- Performed combined loads analysis to determine interface loads
- Quantify system restrictions
- Develop production methodology and support initial builds
- B.S. in any engineering discipline from an accredited university
- 2+ years of industry experience in a production, integration & test, or design role
- Collegiate internship or co-op, hands-on extracurricular projects, or similar engineering activity
One of the following experience bases:
Preferred Skills and Experience
- CAD and FEA systems
- Familiarity with fluid system design elements, including: piping, tubing, flexible elements, flanges, fittings
- Firm understanding of tubing manufacturing methods, including: bending, flaring, and welding
- Operation of fluid systems at elevated pressures and extreme temperatures
- Strong understanding of compressible/incompressible flow and thermodynamics
- Technical writing and communication including manufacturing plans and design reviews
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.