Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Hardware Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a Structures Engineer at ABL, you will take complete ownership of major structural systems, to drive the design and development of primary and secondary vehicle structures.
You will use a strong design, analysis, and hands-on engineering skillset to develop complex designs from a clean sheet through to integration onto the flight vehicle.
You are a well-rounded engineer who enjoys working across a range of technical disciplines, completing detailed analysis one minute and resolving complex manufacturing challenges the next.
You enjoy working closely with other engineers and production technicians to develop structural hardware, design fixtures/tooling and develop new manufacturing processes to rapidly deliver high quality structures hardware.
- Take full ownership for primary and secondary structures, mechanisms, and mechanical ground support equipment
- Responsible for all aspects of assigned mechanical project/product lifecycle: gathering requirements, conceptual design, material and vendor selection, analysis (hand calculations and FEA), CAD/drawing generation, manufacturing, testing, and integration
- Create and present technical documentation that clearly conveys design intent and adherence to standards, requirements, and specifications
- Collaborate with internal manufacturing teams and external manufacturing vendors to deliver quality flight parts
- Manage the project’s schedule, budget, milestones, and track status
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, material science, mechanical engineering, or similar degree
- Hands-on end to end project experience designing and delivering complex mechanical systems
- Professional experience with CAD, hand calculations and FEA
- 3+ years of professional engineering experience
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about taking a key role in designing ABL’s first launch system!
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of professional experience in the field of aerospace/mechanical engineering
- Experience designing welded and mass efficient structures, and structures mechanisms
- Experience with, NASTRAN, FEMAP, ANSYS, and NX CAD
- Strong practical knowledge of GD&T
- Programming experience in Matlab, Python or similar
- Experience designing and manufacturing large weld assemblies
- Practical experience with prototyping/manufacturing methods including machining, welding and metal forming processes
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.