Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Structures engineer will own mission-critical primary and secondary structures' full development cycle, from conceptual design to launch.
From thrust structures to complex tooling, the Structure Engineer's scope is broad and multi-disciplinary. The engineer will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, developing, building, qualifying, and flying their launch vehicle, alongside a small, driven team.
- Full ownership of developing and delivering a complex structural flight and GSE parts, including but not limited to designing, analyzing, manufacturing, integrating, and testing
- Detailed design and analysis of flight hardware using NX, ANSYS, and FEMAP
- Collaborating with internal manufacturing teams and external manufacturing vendors to deliver quality flight parts
- Developing manufacturing and test processes
- Troubleshooting and unblocking non-conformances during prototype development
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years professional experience with a full product development including product design, development, fabrication, assembly, and test
- 2+ years of utilizing CAD software (e.g. NX, Catia, or Solidworks)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Structural design experience
- Mechanism design experience
- Dynamics analysis experience
- Hands on fabrication experience (e.g. welding, machining, assembling)
- Prior leadership experience with projects or product ownership
- Design / build experience (e.g. FSAE, Rocket club , Baja SAE, Cubesat)
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.