Lead Ground Systems Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Lead Ground Systems Engineer designs and operate the ground electrical systems for test and launch of our rocket hardware, creates robust machines that just work, from ground operations through propellant load through to rocket launch.
From valve control to instrumentation interfaces, test stand control, and Lead Ground Systems Engineer's scope is broad and multi-disciplinary. Good Lead Ground Systems Engineers recognize that their ownership of a system is fully inclusive - they are responsible for dreaming, designing, developing, building, activating, and operating their ground electrical systems.
- Provide technical direction to engineers, model makers, and electrical technicians for instrumentation hardware buildup and installation.
- Lead team of instrumentation engineers and technicians from systems conception through build and maintenance.
- Prepare and maintain instrumentation configuration control documentation and modification packages.
- Perform calculations necessary for specifying instrumentation and controls devices, as well as Conduit Sizing, Cable Tray Sizing, etc.
- Develop, issue, and verify ground systems instrumentation checkout procedures.
- Ability to create and interpret electrical schematics and mechanical drawings for hardware installation, troubleshooting and checkouts.
- Complete understanding of analog and digital electronic principles.
- Understand parameter calibration and raw data to engineering unit conversions.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to ensure process problems are resolved based on sound engineering concepts.
Near Term Responsibilities
- Support deployment, configuration, and operations of our ground / launch electrical and control systems
- Point person and team lead for harnessing, data acquisition, and power systems
- BS/MS degree in a technical discipline, preferably in Computer, Electrical or Mechanical.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in operations, engineering, product development.
- ISO 9001, ISO 13485, GMP, DO-178, or other highly regulated industries experience
- Experience supporting complex electromechanical assemblies/instrumentation, preferably in the industrial, aerospace, or oil and gas industries.
- A/D, D/A, amplifiers and related circuit
- DAQ systems
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with 1588 PTP time sync networks
- Experience with hazardous operations support, technology, and real-time operating systems
- Skilled at debugging issues across multiple layers in a complex system
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
ITAR RequirementThis position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Non-DiscriminationWe are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.