Propulsion Engineer, Engine Test
Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Hardware Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Propulsion Engineer, Engine Test
ABL’s Engine RE (Responsible Engineer) team owns the successful performance of all ABL rocket engines. A Propulsion Engineer, Engine Test on this team is responsible for planning and execution of engine testing at ABL. This means formulating initial test plans, sitting on console for engine hotfires, performing data reviews, and leading anomaly investigations.
In this role you will work closely with test engineers and technicians to drive integration and test schedules that quickly buy down risk on ABL’s engine systems across development, qualification, and acceptance testing. You will own and maintain engine system schematics, balances, and sequences, while making decisions quickly and effectively. You’ll get your hands dirty inspecting engine hardware and will work closely with technicians to make changes to the hardware configuration. You will be responsible for increasing test cadence through automation and strategic scope reduction.
Engineers on the Engine RE team are highly motivated, proactive individuals who hold the highest level of accountability and drive a fast-paced environment at ABL’s test sites.
- Create test plans and lead Test Readiness Reviews
- Drive and maintain engine statepoints using engine simulation tools
- Own all hardware documentation and procedures
- Work with test technicians to integrate test articles, update and maintain hardware configuration
- Author and maintain automated test sequences
- Monitor live test data on-console to evaluate engine health during test operations
- Lead post-test data review, working closely with component owners to inform engine performance
- Utilize learnings from testing to drive component and software requirements, and define hardware interfaces
- Automate data review to increase test cadence
- B.S. in any engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Hands-on extracurricular projects or internships/co-ops
- 2+ years of industry experience in an integration & test, design, or production role
One or both of the following experience bases:
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- In-depth understanding of compressible/incompressible flow and thermodynamics
- Experience writing and executing test procedures and/or autosequences for complex hardware operations
- Strong technical writing and communication skills with experience writing test plans and executing readiness reviews
- Ability to program scripts in Python
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
- The Propulsion Engineer, Engine Test must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test work
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.