Hardware Build Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Hardware Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As aHardware Build Engineer at ABL, you will be responsible for developing novel manufacturing processes and tooling to supporthardwaredevelopment projects, by taking a hands-on, problem-solving approach to complex engineering challenges. This role will work closely with design engineers, production manufacturing engineers and technicians, to develop flight and ground system hardware, design fixtures and tooling, develop new manufacturing processes, and support the transition tohardware to high-rate production.
As a build engineer you will split your time between the office, shop floor and vendor facilities, to ensure the vehicle is built both efficiently, and according to ABL’s high quality standards.
- Work with responsible engineers during the hardware design and development process to ensure ease of hardware manufacturability, develop required manufacturing technologies and develop highly efficient manufacturing processes
- Develop novel manufacturing processes from concept to support new hardware development activities.
- Work with responsible engineers to complete development, qualification, and acceptance testing of vehicle and ground systems hardware
- Work with production team to help define build and integration workflow through shop floor layout and work order development
- Take a lead role in resolving build issues and non-conformances that arise during development and first article manufacture
- Work with production manufacturing engineers to develop mature production procedures and processes to enable the transition of parts and assemblies from development to high-rate production
- Provide hardware manufacturing expertise during design reviews and vendor engagement
- Develop vendor relations and assess technical competency to ensure a high-quality supply chain
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, material science, mechanical engineering, or similar degree
- Experience building complex mechanical systems
- 3+ years professional engineering experience or equivalent college extracurricular experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of professional experience in the field of aerospace/mechanical engineering
- Experience interrogating and designing components/assemblies using NX and Teamcenter
- 2+ years creating and interpreting engineering drawings with GD&T
- Experience designing structures or mechanical systems in a fast-paced environment
- Structural analysis experience using hand calculation and FEA
- Fabricated structure design and manufacture experience
- Prior experience with developing, maintaining, and improving welding processes
- General manufacturing materials and process development
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.