El Segundo, California /
Corporate – Legal /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Corporate Counsel - Corporate General
As ABL's Corporate Counsel - Corporate General, you will have primary responsibility for corporate transactional matters and corporate governance matters. You will also be called upon to provide legal review and guidance on a variety of other matters related to ABL's growth and operations. When a financing or M&A transaction is underway, you will be the legal team's frontline on that transaction. This role is far broader, however - you will have the opportunity to solve problems and provide guidance across the full spectrum of legal considerations a growing company encounters.
We are looking for a professional and pragmatic attorney who can work effectively in a fast-paced environment and who shares our passion for providing world-class customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide primary in-house legal transactional support for financing and M&A transactions when they occur, ranging from data room preparation to review and negotiation of transaction documents.
- Provide primary in-house legal support for corporate governance matters, including preparation of minutes and resolutions and counseling management regarding fiduciary duties.
- Negotiate, review, revise, and finalize commercial contracts and transactions, from non-disclosure agreements to commercial real estate leases, complex sourcing agreements, and customer service agreements.
- Counsel internal stakeholders, including senior management, sales, finance, and engineering, regarding commercial and legal risks.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Law Degree from ABA-approved law school
- Active Bar membership with ability to register as in-house counsel in California or ability to maintain an active California bar membership
- 3+ years top tier law firm experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Equity Plan Administration
- Commercial contract negotiation
- Consummate professional with exceptional attention to detail and sound judgment
- Comfortable in a rapid and evolving start-up environment
- Strong ability to navigate ambiguity and new situations
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL's legal team understands the “why” behind all legal and compliance decisions.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL's legal team must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for implementation; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- Ability to come on-site in El Segundo at least three days per week, as needed
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $125,000 - $220,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.