Launch & Test Engineer (Alaska)
Kodiak/Anchorage, Alaska /
Engineering – Launch & Test /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Launch & Test Engineers are the end-users of ABL hardware and the final guardians of the rocket before flight.
From vehicle mates and checkout to ground systems to payload processing and integration, Launch & Test Engineers are responsible for the getting the vehicle to the pad and hardware onto the test stand. On launch day, they also command the vehicle during active operations, and on test days they will serve the same purpose on ABL's test stands. Launch & Test Engineers know the vehicle and ground-systems schematics by heart and can visualize operations ten steps ahead. When there's a problem, they know how to safe the hardware and begin troubleshooting.
- Write procedures to integrate hardware and validate software, avionics, and fluid systems on the launch vehicle. Examples of assemblies include: engines, navigation avionics, radio frequency (RF) transmitters and receivers, and valves
- After training and evaluation, serve as a Vehicle Controller (VC) to command the vehicle during powered and pressurized checkout operations
- Work alongside technicians to execute processing and test operations
- Specify and design electronic and fluid system Ground Support Equipment (GSE)
- Review test data against established criteria to make go/no-go call on vehicle integrity
- Perform final vehicle closeouts and verify hardware is go for flight
- Process customer satellites and encapsulate them into ABL's payload fairing
- Serve as primary Launch & Test Engineer for Kodiak, AK
- B.S. in an engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Reside in Kodiak, AK or Anchorage, AK and will primarily support launch and test operations in Kodiak, AK
- Additional travel of up to 50% to ABL's sites in Mojave, Edwards Air Force Base, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Shetland Space Centre, and beyond.
- 2+ years of industry experience in a production, integration & test, or design role
- Hands-on extracurricular projects or internships/co-ops
One of the following experience bases:
Preferred Skills and Requirements:
- Operational experience with propellants, cryogenics, pyrophoric chemicals, and high pressure systems
- Ability to interpret plumbing and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- Technical writing and communication including operational procedures and readiness reviews
- Ability to program scripts in Python or MATLAB
- Writing and executing test procedures for complex hardware operations
What We Look For:
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
- Reside in either Kodiak, AK or Anchorage, AK.
- The Launch & Test Engineer must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test work, especially on first-article products.
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.