Director of Security
El Segundo, California /
Corporate – Sites and Developments /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As the Director of Security, you are responsible for the physical security operations and governance across all ABL facilities, including remote launch and test sites. This will include growing a high-performance security team and partnering with various internal and external stakeholders. You will set and implement the overall security strategy for the company while fostering an environment of trust and communication.
- Accountable for comprehensive physical security strategy including all resource and fiscal management of associated project portfolio.
- Develop strategic roadmap and implement standard security operations and protocols to protect personnel and physical assets in various settings including remote launch sites.
- Effectively communicate strategic physical security policies, procedures, and goals to both internal and external executive level stakeholders.
- Build a coalition of internal partners to create and test new security strategies that enable the business, meet current and anticipated compliance requirements, and maintain efficiency through alignment with existing programs.
- Partner with local, state, federal, and international agencies to establish and maintain relationships and communications about physical security and incident management.
- Modernized security policies to align with company values, reduce risk, adapt to industry best practices, and comply with customer requirements.
- Develop and implement the overall strategy for security design including, but not limited to, access control, perimeter defense, intrusion detection, alarms, analytics, and surveillance systems.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to draft new security policies that incorporate greater oversight and clearer direction and support the global operations.
- Identify and implement new technologies to improve security staffing and cost efficiencies across all sites.
- Oversee timely and professional response to security incidents and investigations.
- Develop and implement comprehensive physical security solutions ahead of evolving compliance requirements to support strategic business goals.
- Manage a geographically dispersed team implementing physical security programs tailored to specialized security standards across multiple locations.
- Serve as the organization’s physical security subject matter expert both to internal and external audiences.
- 15+ years of security management experience
- 5+ years managing leaders or manager with direct reports
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice
- Qualified to obtain a security clearance
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field
- CFE, CPP, PSP or equivalent certifications
- Experience in aerospace or manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of ITAR requirements for all security matters
- Strong technical knowledge of security systems, including access control systems, video surveillance systems and alarms
- Experience managing security at a company that maintains Facility Security Clearance (FCL) with the US State Department
- Ensuring adherence to US government security requirements can involve collaborating with other agencies and conducting regular training and education for employees. It is important to establish a strong security culture and approach all aspects of facility security with the utmost seriousness and attention to detail
- Experienced communicator with excellent influencing skills and a proven track record of building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong leadership, analytical, organizational, and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Proven record of providing excellent internal and external customer service
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events andtest outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to anobjective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to life 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
$170,000 - $230,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $170,000.00- $230,000.00 This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.