CNC Programmer (Lathe)
El Segundo, California
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
We are looking for an experienced CNC Programmer and machinist to manufacture development and production parts for a satellite launch vehicle. We seek team members who have an ability to think critically when programming and machining to improve hardware designs and manufacturing processes. This role will require specific skill sets with multi-axis Lathe programming and machining. Programming will be completed using Mastercam and NC files to be verified by Vericut. Parts to be machined on Haas Machining Centers. Must have the ability and eagerness to both program and machine components.
We machine parts from both billet material and additively manufactured parts:
· Stainless Steel
Types of Machines:
· Haas DS30Y Lathe
· Haas ST20 Lathe
- Use of Mastercam to create new computer numerical control (CNC) programs and review/edit existing CNC programs for production and development hardware
- Vericut Numerical Control (NC) files and maintain revision control on CNC programs
- Create set-up sheets with tool lists for machining operations
- Support with CNC machining and CNC machinist job requirements a minimum of 50% of time (percentage breakdown of job duties subject to change based on production plan, build rate, and development load)
- Set-up and operate multi-axis Computer Numerical control (CNC) equipment to produce conforming hardware meeting productivity, production, and development goals
- Review models, drawings, and cam files to provide input on designs for manufacturability
- Perform cutting parameter adjustments on machine control for tooling, fixturing, and hardware as needed
- Perform in-process and first article inspections
- Own machine care and preventative maintenance
- Support as needed with post-machining operations including but not limited to deburr, cleaning, and part marking
- Support with material loading and handling
- Submit purchase orders for tooling per job requirements and add tools to vendor managed inventory (VMI) list for standard components
- Work in concert with operations leadership and engineering to develop machining process order of operations
- Design and machine custom tooling and fixturing
- Support with issue ticket rework operations in accordance with issue ticket protocols
- 3+ years of CNC lathe programming and machining experience
- High School diploma or GED
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with GD&T
- Familiarity with inspection tools and inspection processes
- Strong working knowledge of Mastercam
- Strong working knowledge of Haas CNC Machines and Haas Controls
- Experience with Vericut verification software
- Hands on experience with metal 3D printed components.
- Experience in aerospace, medical or automotive manufacturing.
- Strong oral and written communication
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
- Familiarity with ISO9001 and AS9100D
$25.60 - $38.40 an hour
The hourly rate for this role is $25.60 - $38.40. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs. This job is also eligible for bonus pay.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.