Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
We believe there is a simpler way to design and build and launch rockets. ABL is focused on deploying autonomous rockets, carrying non-human payloads into Eath's orbit. Rocket SW differs from technology build in unregulated environments. If a failure occurs, the implications are greater than an app crashing.
We need someone to act as the connective tissue between leadership and the software team. You will partner with strong technical leaders in avionics and hardware, and a talented group of engineers across software and firmware engineering. This person will act as a bridge between cross-functional leaders, and the executive team. This involves project prioritization, leading departmental goal setting, optimize workflows, and providing guidance and mentorship to the team. We’re looking for a leader who is a coach first, but deeply technical in nature.
This is a software role, but we are not looking for a software purist. Software at ABL is part of a multidisciplinary ecosystem and serves an ultimate goal - launching the rocket! We’re seeking a disciplined, pragmatic leader who believes in using the right tool for any job and prioritizes safety and overall company success.
- Build a mentor a SW team excited by complex challenges
- Create a SW validation process across stakeholders: help GNC with algorithm development and help firmware bring up their boards.
- Develop and implement robust program management capabilities
- Solve resourcing and capacity planning
- Reduce variance in releases and ensure software development adheres to deadlines
- Nice to have - improving efficiency with “the range” of regulations / performance
- Experience growing and running high performance engineering teams, evidenced by growth and retention rates as well as achievement of key strategic goals
- Experience building out program management capabilities
- Track record of launching complex technology products or services
- Previous experience in an early stage startup strongly preferred
- Nice to have - knowledge of defense and aviation regulation and documentation
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.