El Segundo, California
Corporate – Sites and Developments /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As the EHS Manager, you will be responsible for supporting complex technical work within a range of EHS disciplines. The EHS Manager supports day-to-day operations by establishing systems, processes, developing safety trainings, and participating in the inspections and audits to name a few. The EHS Manger will foster a culture of safety throughout the organization by promoting best practices and maintaining open communication channels with internal and external stakeholders. You will be part of a growing team, reporting to the Director of Safety, that interfaces and coordinates with many stakeholders, both internal and external to ABL. We are looking for an EHS Manager who enjoys solving complex problems with creative solutions, who can work effectively in a fast-paced environment and who share our passion for building rockets.
- Manager the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of EHS programs and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Support EHS program reviews (e.g., industrial hygiene, emergency response, electrical safety, and control of hazardous energy) and drive outcomes to closure.
- Conduct regular risk assessments and safety audits to identify potential hazards and implement corrective actions.
- Manage records and documentation of EHS training, inspections, compliance calendar, and audits.
- Maintain reporting system for near misses, incidents, and remediation plans.
- Collaborate with teams to identify opportunities for continuous improvement in safety best practices and implement improvements effectively.
- Manage compliant waste removal process with vendors across all ABL locations.
- Develop and maintain EHS Management System that will include KPI’s for total reportable incident rate.
- Review high risk procedures and ensure safety procedures are in place.
- Take lead for developing EHS training matrix and training content company wide.
- Onboard and manage external EHS vendors and associated purchase orders.
- Foster a culture of safety and environmental stewardship.
- 5+ years of experience in an EHS related role
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Safety, Ergonomics, Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, a Safety-related field or equivalent work experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory agencies and requirements
- Practical, hands-on experience with LOTO, Equipment Safety, Electrical Safety, Ergonomics, and Hazardous Operations
- Experience with EHS management systems and software
- Experience working in aerospace, engineering, construction sectors or fast paced environment with constantly shifting priorities and deadlines
- ASP, CSP, CSP, CSHM, CIH or CHMM Certifications
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with employees at all levels
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL employees understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL employees must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to life 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment, unless working outdoors is necessary to complete audits, safety inspections, trainings or investigations
- Travel up to 25% to ABL sites, customers, and vendors
$92,000 - $126,500 a year
The salary range for this role is $92,000.00 - $126,500.00. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.