Orbital Welder (Tube Shop)
El Segundo, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
The Orbital Welder position is a critical role for the company. This individual will be responsible for fabrication and welding high purity piping components.
- Under direct supervision the Welder is responsible for completing welding tasks using their knowledge of, and experience with, various welding methods and materials
- Read and interpret blueprints and drawings, paying close attention to details
- Determine appropriate welding program and method based on requirements
- Setup, operate, calibrate and maintain orbital tube welding equipment
- Cut and prepare all tubing and fittings used in the welding operation
- Set up components for orbital welding according to project specifications without the use of tooling jigs
- Fabricate and install hydraulic, pneumatic, and propellant tubing
- Be able to hand fit and tack weld parts together with TIG welding as required using protractors, angle finders and fit up tools
- Understand and perform purging and pressurization of systems
- Use orbital weld equipment to complete tube assemblies to close tolerances while maintaining high purity and cleanliness standards
- Ability to visually inspect welds and verify quality utilizing borescopes and other inspection methods
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Basic math skills; add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Experience reading and understand drawings, work instructions and technical documents and specifications as necessary to perform the job functions
- Experience using Orbital weld equipment, for tube diameters 1/8” to 6”
- Experience with various thin wall alloys
- Welding or manufacturing experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of orbital welding experience
- 5+ years of experience in an aerospace manufacturing environment or related fields
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employees read, write, and comprehend simple instructions
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to use various inspections tools: calipers, protractor, height gage, etc.
- Ability to use standard mechanical tools, fabrication shop equipment (band saw, chop saw, grinders, drills, etc.)
- Mechanically inclined with a fair level of dexterity to construct simple assemblies or parts
- Welding, machining or manufacturing experience
- Familiarity with tube fabrication (bend, flare, precision clean, etc.) and pressure testing
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Maintain a clean work area
- Your ability to adapt to change and work under pressure while keeping your safety, quality and efficiency in focus
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- Must be able to stand for extended periods
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 50 lbs (unassisted)
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time for customer-related activities
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as operational needs dictate and be able to travel domestically
The hourly rate for this role is $23 - $38.40. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.