Payload Integration Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Payload Integration /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Payload Integration Engineer
As a Payload Integration Engineer, you will be responsible for the payload accommodations on the launch vehicle and launch site payload processing. You will interface with spacecraft customers, design hardware with various engineering teams, and perform operations associated with the physical spacecraft to launch vehicle. We are looking for team members who are autonomously-driven, creative, passionate problem solvers, communicate effectively, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ownership of the payload-to-launch vehicle mechanical, electrical, fluid interfaces and payload separation systems
- Development of payload accommodation designs for new payload interfaces considering vehicle design, manufacturability, and concept of operations
- Development and ownership of mission specific systems, payload-to-launch vehicle processing plans, and integration and test procedures
- Perform and lead hands-on activities including hardware integration, customer fit checks, and launch site operations
- Design mechanical or electrical ground support equipment (GSE) to conduct tests and perform operations
- Technical representative in customer meetings for payload integration and/or processing discussions
- Coordination with engineers from many disciplines to optimize proposed mission unique designs for integration, testing, and manufacturability
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical engineering or related technical field
- 5+ years prior engineering experience in related field such as integration & test, hardware design, or launch engineering for spacecraft or rockets
- Experience developing test plans and procedures from requirements
- Experience using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software (such as NX, Solidworks, Altium)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work extended hours to meet milestones and deadlines
- Willingness to travel for launch and customer-related activities (up to 30% time)
- Active TS/SCI or DoD Secret clearance, or willingness to pursue a clearance
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years hands-on mechanical and/or electrical integration experience on spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Experience as a test conductor during lift operations, vehicle powered-on internal checkouts, separation system testing, or comprehensive system tests
- Prior direct coordination experience with external customers
- Prior project experience working with the US Government
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Experience with HVAC/Environmental Control Systems (ECS)
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $100,000-$175,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.