Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
The Lead Technician is the hardware boss on the shop floor, accepting responsibility for the safety of the team and integrity of the launch vehicle hardware.
To be a highly available launch provider and meet commitments to the customer, ABL must consistently deliver issue-free launch vehicles. The Lead Technician is at the forefront of ensuring quality and workmanship, understanding the rocket in far more depth than just the instructions to assemble or test. ABL's first Lead Technicians will join before production begins and work alongside the design and development teams to provide feedback on assembly and test operations to drive improvements to the hardware designs.
- Work with development engineers to understand vehicle system fundamentals
- Work with production and test engineers to develop assembly and test procedures
- Train and manage a technician team of 5-10 individuals
- Execute cross-disciplinary production work, to include structures, engines, fluid systems and avionics
- Document hardware builds and tests, specifically anomolies and non-conformities
- Guarantee the quality and workmanship of the product
- Assist with transitioning products from development to initial production to full rate production.
- 5+ years of technician experience in the aerospace, military, marine, energy, oil and gas or similar industry
Preferred Skills and Experience
- FAA Aircraft Maintenance Technician License (either Airframe, Powerplant or both)
- Military Crew Chief experience on any airframe
- F1 or similar Pit Crew Experience
- Experience with high pressure and cryogenic fluids
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The Lead Technician must be willing to travel to vendors to develop relationships and assess viability.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.