Cost Analyst II
El Segundo, California /
Corporate – Finance /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
The Cost Analyst will be involved in all aspects of cost accounting and will be a contributor in ensuring that our books and records are accurate and financial reporting is done in a timely manner.
The Cost Analyst is an internal role that reports directly to the Cost Accounting Manager and works closely with the finance and accounting team and partners with various team members throughout the organization. We are looking for someone with prior experience in the costing process and has advanced MS Excel skills. Preferably within an aerospace & defense, automotive, or similar manufacturing organization.
- Prepare inventory valuations, including reconciliation of WIP work orders and on-hand inventory
- Prepare inventory analysis, excess and obsolescence report, and monthly journal entries and present to domain leadership
- Prepare month-end inventory reports including analysis of purchase price variances, manufacturing variances and scrap
- Analyze complex bills of material and machine, labor and overhead cost that apply to finished products
- Prepare quarterly inventory flux analysis
- Assist in the determination of annual labor rates and overhead
- Assist with preparation of inventory audit requests
- Assist with other inventory/costing initiatives, as directed by the Cost Accounting Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- 2+ years experience in general accounting or cost accounting
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Manufacturing and/ or inventory experience, preferably within the aerospace and defense industry
- Ability to effectively analyze transactional level detail in an enterprise resource planning system and articulate the key findings to management
- Ability to collaborate and build positive relationships with other teams within Finance and cross-functionally outside Finance to make recommendations, implement process improvements, etc., effectively
- Detail-oriented and comfortable working with large data sets
- Strong in Microsoft Office Suite; Advanced excel skills are a must
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Prior experience in a fast paced, high growth environment
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
What we look for:
- Critical thinking: ABL employees understand the "why" behind all decisions, operational events and outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is not always a roadmap and ABL employees must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work
The salary range for this role is $70,000 - $92,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.