Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Application Software /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL is looking for an experienced Network Administrator with solid experience in networking technologies that support routing, switching, dynamic multicast, VoIP, SIP, cellular, Wi-Fi, and telemetry. This Administrator will be a member of the Mission Operations Technology team, which is responsible for maintaining stable, reliable, and diverse ground communication systems. These systems support the testing, launching of rockets and satellites into orbital space flight. The position will be directly involved with expanding and maintaining local and remote launch and test sites using our design standards. The ideal candidate will be a great communicator, able to document work in a ticketing system, excel at multi-tasking, resolve issues to prevent failures, and enjoy a fast-paced high-tech environment.
- Implement, maintain, document, support, and upgrade all aspects of ABL’s LAN/WAN/MAN/WLAN
- Installing, configuring, and support data center networks
- Troubleshoot wired/wireless networking related issues via our IT ticketing system
- Monitor network health using in-house and 3rd party tools
- Manage inventory of hardware (switches, access points, optics, patch cords, power supplies)
- Create and maintain proper documentation of our networks
- Bachelor’s degree in technology or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of professional hands-on experience operating enterprise-class networks
- Operational experience in a Linux production environment
- Experience with Python and/or bash scripting
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Solid understanding of networks including but not limited to:
- Connectivity (Ethernet, IPv4, and IPv6)
- Switching (VLANS, Spanning Tree, Trunks, LACP)
- Routing (Static, OSPF, IBGP)
- Subscriber Management (BNG, RADIUS/AAA, QoS, BSS/OSS integration)
- Network security and Anti-DDoS measures
- Internet services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc.)
- Familiarity with network health monitoring systems
- Experience with hands-on work in bringing up the network infrastructure
- Experience creating documentation and procedures
- Ability to perform tasks independently
- Experience working on wireless networks
- Cisco, Juniper, or other industry certifications
- Experience with cloud-based technologies (Kubernetes, Azure, AWS, C2S, Istio)
What We Look For
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events, and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
Physical Requirements/Work Environments:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to travel domestically and foreign for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone, and by telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in ABL offices and travel to remote ABL sites including International
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.