Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – GNC & Flight Sciences /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL's Aerodynamics Engineers drive the designs of current and future vehicles through analyzing highly complex and cross-disciplinary systems. Aerodynamics Engineers work closely with structures, GNC, and propulsion teams to predict the aerodynamic environments of the launch vehicle. This requires developing CFD tools and analytical infrastructure to support a growing vehicle analysis team.
- Gather, define, and document requirements to support vehicle design
- Develop, analyze and review data to validate and verify system meets specifications and design requirements
- Perform and lead cross-disciplinary analysis to drive the designs of ABL space systems
- Develop and support of system level CFD analysis tools used to predict the aerodynamics of our launch vehicles
- Review flight data and anchor results to CFD models
NEAR TERM RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with GNC and Structures teams to predict the flight aerodynamics
- Inform any design changes or trajectory constraints related to aerodynamic considerations
- Set up CFD infrastructure to support a growing analysis team
- B.S. from an accredited university
- Competency using Matlab and/or Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 4+ years of CFD experience (research or industry) related to launch vehicle, aircraft, missile, spacecraft or similar vehicle systems
- Experience with FUN3D, Cart3D, Ansys Fluent or similar
- Demonstrated leadership of or within a small project team either in current role or during project based team in school
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.