Head of Quality
El Segundo, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Head of Quality
As the Head of Quality, you will be responsible for ensuring the quality of manufacturing, assembly and test of our vehicle and ground systems hardware. You will be expected to lead the quality team to build a robust culture of excellence and exceeding customer expectations.
The Head of Quality will lead compliance efforts with all regulations and specifications, as well as heading the development of procedures and standards. This role will support every aspect of ABL to ensure rapid delivery of high-quality hardware.
Travel between sites may be required.
- Lead, develop and grow the quality organization, this will include quality inspectors, NDE inspectors and build reliability
- Develop and own quality procedures and processes to manage the transition of parts and assemblies from development to high rate production
- Create the quality roadmap to ensure proper processes and training is in place for customer satisfaction
- Manage AS9100 certification efforts and ensure continual improvement
- Work closely with production and engineering teams to manage priorities to support critical path and schedule
- Bachelor's aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar degree from accredited university or 10+ years’ experience in quality organization
- 2+ years in a quality leadership role
- 5+ years leading quality initiatives in an aerospace field
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with AS9100 certification processes and GIDEP
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about ABL’s mission!
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
$160,000 - $190,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $160,000 - $190,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.