Regulatory Operations Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Corporate – Launch Safety & Licensing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a Regulatory Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for leading system certification, required to receive authorization to launch from internal and external agencies. This role is one of the most diverse positions in a launch company requiring interfacing with each engineering discipline, operations, customers, and external agencies using system safety engineering principles to ensure the rocket, support equipment, and operations are executed in a safe manner. You will be responsible for leading and supporting meetings to capture and define requirements with several agencies. This includes supporting leadership, engineers, and operations as we evolve our test and launch operations, expanding to new sites. We are looking for Regulatory Operations Engineers who can develop broad system-wide understanding of our launch vehicle, ground systems, and operations, while solving challenges and managing multiple tasks to meet key milestones. Successful Regulatory Operations Engineers can work effectively in a fast-paced environment and share our passion for building and launching rockets and payloads into orbit. This is a role that directly contributes to ABL's vision and goal.
- Lead, manage, and support meetings with Launch Sites, Range Safety, and Government agencies (FAA, SLD, NOAA, FCC)
- Lead and support the development of system certification documentation for launch approvals
- Conduct system safety analysis and reports for rocket systems, ground support equipment, and operations
- Work with engineering to incorporate governing requirements into designs, test procedures, and operation plans
- Coordinate and negotiate with internal and external agencies on requirements definition and application
- Manage component and system testing and analysis efforts that input into system certification reports
- Perform the role of the Safety Official for launch campaigns as a final go/no-go for launch
- B.S. in Engineering or similar field
- 1+ years experience working with either systems engineering, launch operations, and/or design & test
- 2+ years experience managing programs/projects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ proven years of relevant experience in a startup environment
- Program or Project Management Experience
- System safety analysis (FMECAs, Hazard Analyses, Risk Analyses)
- Experience working with licensing requirements (CFR 413/415/417/420/440/450, AFSPCMAN 91-710, RCC 319/324)
- Experience working with military and commercial ranges, FAA AST, ATC, USCG
- Experience writing test plans, test procedures, and verification matrices
- Preference for and ability to thrive as a member of a small agile team
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- Ability to travel to support meetings, test campaigns, and launch campaigns
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $90,000 - $130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.