Ground Fluid Systems Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Hardware Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
GROUND FLUID SYSTEMS ENGINEER
As a Ground Fluid Systems Engineer, you will develop, design, build, and commission the ground fluid systems at ABL to support tests, operations, and launches. You will have the opportunity to be a key member of a small team of mechanical, fluid, and electrical engineers working to develop innovative deployable launch solutions that enable the rapid deployment and launch of ABL orbital vehicles. This is a role that contributes to every mission and every flight we fly as we continue to reimagine the future of space launches.
- Design, build and integrate fluid and pneumatic systems to support RS1 ground operations that comply with ABL, Test Site and Range requirements. Work with mechanical and electrical engineers to ensure clean cross functional design
- Develop test plans for ground fluid systems, and complete ATP/checkouts testing to verify functionality. Inclusive of planning, documentation, and execution of test campaigns
- Support the development of internal standard manufacturing/integration processes (fabrication, inspection, etc.) that comply with ABL, Test Site and Range requirements and deliver quality ground fluid systems
- Create and present internal and external technical documentation that clearly conveys design intent, adherence to standards, requirements, and specifications
- Manage project’s schedule, compliance with internal and external requirements, budget, milestones, and track status
- Interface with technicians to coordinate builds, logistics, support, and requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or similar field
- Experience utilizing CAD design software (e.g. NX, CATIA, CREO/PRO-E)
- Experience routing fluid and electrical systems
- Hands-on experience using fluid components
- Experience working across engineering groups to define requirements and implement solutions
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in space, aerospace, or equivalent professional environments with direct hands-on experience developing complex fluid systems
- Ability to review complex fluid P&IDs
- Ability to size fluid components based on flow, pressure, and thermal requirements
- Experience working with high-pressure systems
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and GD&T
- Experience with Teamcenter or other PLM system
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.