Propulsion Build Engineer, Turbomachinery
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Propulsion /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Propulsion Build Engineer, Turbomachinery
As a Propulsion Build Engineer, you will be responsible for turning conceptual ideas into rocket parts that will fly to space through robust and streamlined manufacturing process. You will be driving turbopump builds from concept through flight. This includes collaborating with the engineering team to design turbopumps that are easily manufactured and scale to production. We are looking for Turbomachinery Build Engineer who enjoys solving complex problems, can work effectively in a fast-paced environment, and shares our passion for building spaceflight propulsion systems and devices.
- Turn CAD designs into physical, reliable, launchable spaceflight hardware
- Develop and implement repeatable and efficient turbopump build processes
- Coordinate with machine shop and outside suppliers to ensure hardware is manufactured as intended and efficiently.
- Advise design and analysis engineers on design for manufacturability and implement iterative changes to hardware and manufacturing techniques.
- Scale production from initial prototype builds to volume production.
- Design and develop tooling, fixtures, jigs, and test equipment.
- Author, maintain, and oversee execution of assembly and component build procedures, inspection, acceptances processes.
- Actively engage with technicians in a hands-on fashion to facilitate and improve production processes.
- Create, maintain, and communicate detailed manufacturing schedules for turbopump deliveries.
- Develop supply chain for new products or processes and actively work with outside suppliers.
- Work with process control teams to manage hardware deliveries and inventory across multiple sites.
- Understand and resolve manufacturing discrepancies.
- Drive nonconformances to closure and identify root cause.
- Experience in taking a product through a full development cycle from concept to delivery.
- Design and build experience creating rotating machinery hardware, additively manufactured housings, precision machined components, and rotor balancing.
- Knowledge of GD&T.
- Bachelor's of Science in engineering or Physics from accredited university.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of turbomachinery product lifecycle development experience.
- Hands-on extracurricular and/or project experience such as rocketry, FSAE, Baja SAE, car restoration, robotics, etc.
- Experience with Siemens NX CAD packages.
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent technical communication.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to life 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment.
- Willingness to travel to various ABL sites to support testing, launching, and refurbishment ( 20% of the year)
The salary range for this role is $90,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.