Deployable Launch Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
Deployable Launch Engineers are the final guardians of the rocket before flight.
From vehicle mates and checkout to ground systems to payload processing and integration, Deployable Launch Engineers are responsible for the getting the vehicle to the pad. On launch day, they also command the vehicle during active operations. The Deployable Launch Engineers know the vehicle schematics by heart and can visualize operations ten steps ahead. When there's a problem, they know how to safe the vehicle and begin troubleshooting.
- Write procedures to validate software, avionics, and fluid systems on the launch vehicle. Examples of assemblies include: engines, navigation avionics, radio frequency (RF) transmitters and receivers, and valves
- After training and evaluation, serve as a Vehicle Controller (VC) to command the vehicle during powered and pressurized checkout operations
- Work alongside technicians to execute processing and test operations
- Specify and design electronic and fluid system Ground Support Equipment (GSE)
- Review test data against established criteria to make go/no-go call on vehicle integrity
- Perform final vehicle closeouts and verify hardware is go for flight
- Process customer satellites and encapsulate them into ABL's payload fairing
- B.S. in any engineering discipline from an accredited university
- 2+ years of industry experience in a production, integration & test, or design role
- Hands-on extracurricular projects or internships/co-ops
One of the following experience bases:
Preferred Skills and Requirements
- Operational experience with propellants, cryogenics, pyrophoric chemicals, and high pressure systems
- Ability to interpret plumbing and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- Technical writing and communication including operational procedures and readiness reviews
- Ability to program scripts in Python or MATLAB
- Writing and executing test procedures for complex hardware operations
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The Deployable Launch Engineer must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test work, especially on first-article products.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.