Los Angeles, California /
Corporate – Finance /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
The Payroll Specialist is an integral part of our accounting team and needs to have strong operational experience with full-cycle payroll processing. The ideal candidate for this role will have the ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize work, demonstrate accountability, and use good judgement while working independently to meet tight deadlines.
The Payroll Specialist is an internal role that reports to the Payroll Manager and works closely with the human resources team and partners with various team members throughout the organization.
- Prepare and process payroll on a bi-weekly and semi-monthly basis for salaried and hourly employees
- Validate and reconcile payroll data to ensure accurate payroll payments, reporting, and records.
- Provide prompt, friendly, and efficient customer service to employees who have questions regarding their pay, deductions, or the payroll process
- Process manual checks for terminations and adjustments as needed
- Reconciliation and resolution of discrepancies of relevant payroll, benefits, and tax accounts
- Coordinate with other departments (Human Resources, IT, Finance and Accounting) to gather relevant data
- Assist the Payroll Manager with day-to-day task planning and special projects as needed
- Support month-end close activities such as journal entry compilation, reconciliation, and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- 3+ years of payroll experience; or 6+ years of professional experience in payroll in lieu of a degree
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in a payroll position in a fast-paced environment required
- Working knowledge of tax and wage laws
- Experience with UKG Ready
- Experience processing payroll for a large private company
- Demonstrated history of growth and increasing responsibility in current and previous roles
- Proficient computer skills, including Excel
- Ability to analyze high volume of transactions and data
- Excellent technical, analytical, and communication skills, both written and verbal
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL employees understand the "why" behind all decisions, operational events and outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is not always a roadmap and ABL employees must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $70,000 - $92,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.