El Segundo, California /
Corporate – Creative /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
The Communication Manager would manage and support internal and external communications for the company, ensuring the message is consistent and executed well.
In this role you will successfully work with technical and non-technical teams and manage the high impact messaging for complex technical and business ideas. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders as well as work closely with our executive team on internal communications, press releases, and external media material.
- Manage and execute comprehensive strategic communications plans and implement daily activities for both internal and external audiences
- Manage freelance and agency relationships on an as-needed basis
- Work with other members of the creative team on cross-functional projects to deliver on-time and on-message materials
- Proactively undertake issues management and media relations
- Maintain relationships with a network of media contacts to foster two-way communication, maintain a pulse on company sentiment, and enable strategic communications efforts.
- Effectively collaborate on strategic initiatives with executives and senior stakeholders across multiple teams including Finance, Business Development, Engineering, HR and Legal
- Facilitate effective communications and build strategic relationships with key stakeholders in space, aerospace, and defense & intelligence
- Support special projects and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills—you thrive on the details and the big picture too
- Knowledge of current and emerging employee communication tools and best practices
- A proven track record of successfully working with the media specifically in space, aerospace, and defense & intelligence
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (SharePoint, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in internal and external communications in diverse stakeholder populations preferred (manufacturing, engineering, finance, investors, customers, etc.)
- Creative, hardworking, and flexible professionalism—you are able to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strategic mindset with a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude
- Ability to travel 25% to support key company events and conferences
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL employees understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $85,000 - $150,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.