Senior Full Stack Software Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
Enterprise software at ABL is a bit different than at large corporations. Our engineers don't write programs to process payroll; they build tools that control mission critical operations and data flows.
ABL's Full Stack Software Engineers build applications and tools that synthesize diverse streams of inputs — orbital parameters, flight sensor data, manufacturing workflows, supply chain lead times, and financial projections, to name a few. This software forms a rock-solid technological foundation for world-class launch vehicle engineering and production. In this role, the engineer will facilitate the full end-to-end spectrum of tasks involved in building and launching rockets.
- Build effective, user-friendly web applications that power core ABL business functions, such as robust and streamlined manufacturing processes, launch procedures, supply chain management, mission design and trajectory analysis, and other vital operations
- Remain grounded by digging in with hardware, production, test and launch engineers to gain an understanding of launch vehicle processes
- Own projects from initial concept through development, release, maintenance, and continual improvement
- Quickly explore and prototype solutions in a variety of domains, while also investing in a high-quality, maintainable base architecture and core feature-set
- Develop and clearly communicate plans, roadmaps, designs, and architectures in the midst of complex, evolving constraints
- Identify and manage risks that may affect the successful delivery of features
- Provide technical leadership and thoughtful mentorship to peers
- Proactively remove obstacles that stand in the way of engineering productivity
- Work closely with colleagues across the company to ensure that the software is meaningfully serving ABL's long-term goals
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, math, physics, engineering, or similar
- 6+ years of professional experience building software for the web
- Experience as a technical leader in a team environment
- Expertise across the web stack — interactive client-side applications, backend servers, databases, and infrastructure & tooling
- Experience developing reliable, maintainable, and performant web applications
- Able to quickly evaluate, learn, and apply new technologies as appropriate
- Strong focus on the end-user and business problems, understanding that custom-built software is simply one possible tool for solving problems
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Expertise in Python frameworks like Flask, Django, or similar backend frameworks
- Experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure, Linux environments, and DevOps technologies and practices
- Demonstrated success building and launching substantial software projects
- Hardware experience or willingness to have some hardware involvement. It is important for the Senior Full Stack Software Engineer to remain grounded to the systems their applications are serving
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.