Technician - Kodiak, AK
Kodiak/Anchorage, Alaska /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
This position will be based in Kodiak, AK and support ABL launch operations at Pacific Spaceport Complex - Alaska.
- Work with development engineers to understand vehicle system fundamentals
- Work with production and test engineers to develop assembly and test procedures
- Execute cross-disciplinary production work, to include structures, engines, fluid systems and avionics
- Document hardware builds and tests, specifically anomalies and non-conformities
- Guarantee the quality and workmanship of the product
- Assist with transitioning products from development to initial production to full rate production.
- 5+ years of technician experience in the aerospace, military, Auto Race Industry, marine, energy, oil and gas or similar industry
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook)
- Experience working at a rocket launch facility and supporting launch campaigns
- Experience in operating and manipulating machinery and various hand and power tools requiring manual dexterity
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- FAA Aircraft Maintenance Technician License (either Airframe, Powerplant or both)
- Military Crew Chief experience on any airframe
- F1 or similar Pit Crew Experience
- Experience with high pressure and cryogenic fluids
- Strong written and oral communication skills, a meticulous attention to detail, an emphasis on safety, cleanliness, adherence to corporate policies and standards, a great attitude, and the ability to work with a team
- A demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical drawings, manuals, and reports
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL Technicians understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL Technicians must be Flexible and have the ability to adapt quickly
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
- Must be willing to travel to other sites or customer facilities as necessary
- Must be willing to work 50+ hours a week (overtime) when necessary to support launch and critical project timelines, flexibility required
- Ability to work at elevated heights or on ladders up to 100 ft
- Physical effort including standing, lifting, pushing, and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (15 to 40 lbs)
- Work occasionally performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
The hourly rate for this role is $23 - $38.40. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.