Integration and Test Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Integration and Test Engineers (I&TE) combine all the major sub-assemblies on the vehicle and ensure they interact properly.
The I&TE is part systems engineer and part pit crew chief, responsible for leading efficient and safe vehicle system checkouts spanning fluid systems, avionics and software. A great I&TE knows the vehicle schematics by heart and can visualize operations ten steps ahead, always ready for a problem to arise and knowing how to safe the vehicle and begin troubleshooting. I&TE's know the fundamentals of every active system on the rocket. They strategically write test procedures and then seamlessly move to the shop floor to execute them alongside test technicians.
- Write procedures to validate software, avionics and fluid systems on the launch vehicle. Examples of assemblies include: engines, navigation avionics, radio frequency (RF) transmitters and receivers, and valves.
- After training and evaluation, serve as a vehicle controller (VC) to command the vehicle during powered and pressurized checkout operations.
- Interface with design engineers to ensure all vehicle systems interact seamlessly
- Work alongside technicians to execute test operations
- Specify and design electronic and fluid system ground support equipment
- Review test data against established criteria to make go/no-go call on vehicle integrity
- Establish automated processes to streamline test execution and data review
Near Term Responsibilities
- During ABL's early phases, the I&TE will have significantly broader scope. Eventually, the I&TEs will operate like a pit crew, checking out vehicles as they're built. To start, the I&TE's must first create the tools and equipment in their checkout kit.
- Evaluate and select enterprise software (e.g. procedure generation, data logging and analysis)
- Design, build and activate major electronic and fluid system ground support equipment
- Create training courses for engineers and technicians on specialized production skills
- Bachelor's degree in any engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- 2+ years of industry experience in a production, integration & test or design role
- 2+ years of collegiate extracurricular engineering project experience (Rocket Team, Formula SAE etc.)
One of the following experience bases:
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of experience designing and executing integration & test operations for a launch vehicle, airplane, ship or automobile
- Technical writing
- Hardware project management experience where there was a clear deliverable
- Python coding and ability to write simple scripts
- Writing and executing test procedures for complex hardware operations
- Restoring cars and rebuilding engines
- Electronic projects (Arduino, Raspberry Pi etc.)
- Amateur rocketry
Professional or hobby experience to include, but not limited to:
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The I&TE must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test work, especially on first-article products.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.