Machine Shop Production Manager
El Segundo, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As the Machine Shop Production Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of technicians to ensure success of manufacturing, integration, test and launch for vehicle and ground structures hardware. The production manager will be focused on ramping production capability to achieve the desired rate while reducing hours and improving build quality of assigned areas.
Production managers are responsible for the on-time delivery of quality hardware. You will be expected to lead the machine shop team to build a robust culture of excellence and exceeding customer expectations.
- Provide a safe and positive work environment, building a strong team culture of accountability, collaboration, flexibility, respect and ownership
- Recruit, hire and retain top talent
- Schedule people and resources to meet required production rate, ensuring productivity and utilization remains high
- Mentor team members in technical and professional matters, providing regular feedback and coaching
- Establish monthly and yearly goals for team, and assisting to remove blockers and escalate schedule risks of more than 1 shift slips
- Document and champion design and process improvements to implementation
- Responsible for team training plan and setting standards for workmanship
- Accountable for shop floor layout and best practices, including tool management, FOD mitigation, part control and safety protocols
- Manage time sheets and performance management
- Create and evaluate capacity studies to evaluate machine portfolio
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership position
- 5+ years of experience machining in an aerospace field
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with AS9100 certification processes
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about ABL’s mission!
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
- Travel between sites maybe required
The salary range for this role is $124,100 - $175,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.